I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread types
Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2007 09:28PM

Been looking at all the new pics, I've been away from robuilding for awhile and everything seems new. Anyway, I'm seeing all these pics (on this board)with, I think, Rayon thread that I had started to experiment with but that was when I quit for a few years back. There are multiple shades of each color. Do these threads come in NCP also? and , again, where's the best place to buy from? Thanks ahead.............Kyle Ligon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread types
Date: July 07, 2007 09:30PM

When I wrote "NCP" I just mean't no color preserver needed, whatever the thread might be made of.........Kyle

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 07, 2007 09:36PM

I have had problems using rayon threads so I stopped using them. After much input from other rodbuilders on this board, I have started using Madeira brand thread for doing weaves and still use Gudebrod for wrapping guides.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 07, 2007 11:29PM

Rayon seems to be iffy and causes more problems than is worth it in my opinion. Other than Nylon, Just about any POLYESTER thread (#40, just a hair smaller than A thread)works pretty well. The most popular polyester is Madeira's, PolyNeon. Comes in 330+ colors. CP is strongly recommended as some have reported problems with fisheyes due to some being treated with silicon for sewing machine use. I have never seen that myself. A good share of the pix that you havebeen looking at are done with Madeira. Do a search here for madeira and select ALL DATES and you will get a ton of info/opinions. You can get Madeira from @#$%& or Mudhole.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 08, 2007 02:06AM

Madeira, Gudebrod, Rice, Sulky - all good stuff, but none Rayon. Suppliers are most of the sponsors on the left of this Board. Many have catalogs and online catalogs that show the threads in color. Most of the manufacturers have websites that also show their colors.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: July 08, 2007 10:07AM

Thanks, I assume poly threads will act like nylon thread when epoxied? I mean, almost dissappear over a black blank if no CP is used? Thanks again, Kyle

Date: July 08, 2007 10:26AM

The Madiera is the only one that I saw that has multiple shades of each color, which is what I want. The only problem is that I cater mostly to Beach Sharkers, so the rods are big and fairly long(10') blanks about 1" in diameter so I really need size D thread, or else I'll be doing alot more work. Does anybody sell size D and in multiple shades of the same color? Thanks, Kyle

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 08, 2007 10:50AM

Just wrap 2 threads at the same time instead of one.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 08, 2007 11:26AM

**Does anybody sell size D and in multiple shades of the same color?**
I've been investigating that myself. Really wish something like the Madeira set was some in B and D sies.

The govt thread lettering system is pretty much unused by the rest of the world, except for rod builders. Tex is how most threads are rated. A Tex 45 or Tex 46 is B. Tex 69 is basically a D ( actually a little thicker and approaching an E). There is a fair amount of variation in sizing between manufacturers too.

Tex 45/46 and 69 are very common in poly and nylon. The manufactureres make many colors, but I haven't seen anyone who stocks them all. The thread sellers rarely know whether they have been treated with silicone, but in general, assume any sewing machine thread has been treated with something that can mess with a finish. At least until you test it.

One other odd choice I found was C-Lon. Very narrow distribution, and used by people doing beadcraft. It is a bonded filament nylon that has been UV treated, in sies AA and D only, and in about 30 colors. Available only in little 80ish yard bobbins at around $1 to $1.50 each. I like the stuff personally, it doesn't seem to cause me any finish problems, but it is a very different feeling thread.

Date: July 08, 2007 11:50AM

Thanks Billy but there are strength issues to deal with too. Yes, I can overwrap but again, that just takes more time. I also need consistency in thread height if I want to use some D mixed in, but I know what you're saying. Thanks again, I'm just trying to find everything MY WAY, LOL!

What Dave said??? Thanks, Kyle

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 08, 2007 12:00PM

On embroidery thread numbers, the higher the number, the thinner the thread. Size 40 is bigger than size 60 and size 30 is bigger than 40. Kyle, I don't build big salt rods but a lot of guys that do, use Madeira.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster