I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank Suggestion - small live bait
Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2007 03:35PM

I am looking for suggestions on what others may have used. Looking to make a 7' rod for inshore live bait. Typical live bait is sardines in the 3-5 inch range "greenbacks" for those in the know. Fishing from a boat with spinning gear for snook and redfish mostly. Some of the problems are that you can not cast hard or the bait will come off the hook. More of a sweeping cast, so a rod has to load easily. Most casting is done at mangrove lines, dock structure, and such. Not really precise casting, but with an unweighted live bait it can be difficult to be accurate.
The blank has to be capable of stopping reds in the 10lb+ range and turn 30+ inch snook. Typically most use rods in the 10-20 ratings.
Any suggestions?
Thanks, and let me know if I can provide more info.

-Steve

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank Suggestion - small live bait
Posted by: Lynn Huffman (---.dialup6.community-web.net)
Date: July 07, 2007 04:09PM

Steve,
I'd recommend the IP844 or IP845 from Batson. These are 7' popping rods intended to cast live shrimp without throwing them off. The latter is rated 10-20 lb. and is the heaviest in the popping rod line. If you need something heavier, then consider a composite live bait blank either a Seeker CLB-704 or one of the RCLB line of blanks from Batson.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2007 04:51PM

With generic sizing you see at Calstar, PacBay, and so forth, 196 and the slightly heavier 270 series live biat blanks. With Seeker, they have choices in their 700 series live bait blanks. Live bait rods have been a SoCal mainstay for at least 3 decades that I know of. Sponsor @#$%& is down there and no doubt has lots of expertise and all the bits n pieces.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2007 04:58PM

Steve -

I would recommend one of the following, in alphabetical order ...

Batson, Rainshadow, IP844 or IP844F
G Loomis, GL3 or IMX, P844
Lamiglas, IMP844 or LP844

Definitely stay with a 7'0" 4 power Popping blank. I have all of these blanks either in house or in transit. If you can wait a week or so until the next order arrives, you are welcome to stop by and check all of them out - there shouldn't be any missing at that point.

Jim -
Tampa Bay, FL

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.112.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: July 07, 2007 05:09PM

I third the IP844. I have built several of them, for the same application you are talking about. They are very good

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.154.255.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: July 07, 2007 05:28PM

I like the IP844 also great blank ! I like mine well enough to build me 2 more. Just haven't started them yet. I've got one of each IP844 & IP844F.
Bill RIce

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2007 08:09PM

The 844 is a bait casting rod are you guys building a spin casting with it? I also live in south west fla and am always looking for a good snook rod for my customers and myself Billy

Date: July 07, 2007 08:50PM

The IP844 Rainshadow is whatever you want it to be ... the actual description on the Batson website simply says "Inshore".

The 844 blanks in Batson, G Loomis and Lamiglas ALL make great inshore POPPING rods. I wouldn't recommend them specifically for jigs, bucktails, etc. they are more suited to the design - a popping cork or freelined live baits. They are lots of fun to fish due to the moderate action, but they have been of butt to drag even the biggest of snook and reds to the boat.

Date: July 08, 2007 12:21AM

Tahnks jim i was talking about the loomis sorry. Anywhow thats good advice guess thats my next build.

Date: July 08, 2007 07:43AM

Gotcha Billy! The Loomis that I recommended is ALSO a Popping Blank - the P844. It too has mod-fast action and is my favorite of the popping blanks that I listed. That letter in the front makes all the difference - Loomis makes a P844, MB844 and L844 and they are all VERY different.

Date: July 08, 2007 09:28AM

Jim,
Thanks for the recommendations. Do you have a shop in Tampa? I am over in Palm Harbor. It would be interesting to compare those blanks side by side. The Loomis options that you like are significantly more expensive... what makes them so? When you go up to the next material in the Loomis lines the prices jump. I mean $215 for a 2oz blank??? crazy.
The rainshadow looks worth trying. Why no recommendations for anything St. Croix?
If you do have a shop, let me know if I could stop by sometime.

-Steve

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Date: July 08, 2007 06:32PM

Steve -

1. You are welcome. 2. Location is Plant City. 3. Loomis IS more money, and a better blank IMO - for this particular purpose ... a popping rod. 4. You would have to be the one to decide it the $$ difference is worthwhile for your needs. 5. Loomis doesn't publish or quote weights - but I can assure you that they are light and strong. I have no idea where you got that calculation from, especially since I don't believe it to be necessarily correct. 6. The price you mentioned isn't anywhere close to correct - you almost got the price for GLX at retail. I suggested GL3 or IMX, much less expensive. 7. Please don't post prices on the forum - it makes Tom unhappy and it is his sandbox. 8. The Rainshadow is a good blank, I have them in stock too. 9. St Croix doesn't make popping blanks - they have zero to offer in this particular area. Although they do make the very terrific SCIV Inshore lineup - unfortunately a but one of the blanks is a very fast action. 10. You are welcome to stop by, just contact me regarding a visit. My e-mail is in my profile.

Jim -

Date: July 08, 2007 07:23PM

Jim Naples here btw. Sure would be nice to have a decent rod making shop to buy our supplies here in fla. The big one in central fla is way overpriced although they do have a good selection.

I love the gl3 steve its a great feel and is a really tough material. To add to all that its color is just beutiful mahogany making it one of the most gorgeous blanks on the market.
Any of you guys going to high point for the show? I fly usually but would drive if I had people to share the drive expenses.My pickup would hold a lot more goodies then flying.

Date: July 08, 2007 07:27PM

Thanks Jim for the info. I was referring to the GLX P844 at retail... I mention retail, because I have no other way to buy. Just meant in general and not in regards to the ones you mentioned.
PLant City is quite a haul, but I would like to come by. I'll be in touch on that.

-Steve

Tampa, FL

Date: July 08, 2007 07:58PM

Billy - I like that overpriced shop in Central Florida and wouldn't dream on having their headaches - I am a rod builder. You and I do agree on the P844-GL3, incredible blank and dead gorgeous in the sunlight - wrap those guides with Copper Metallic, use Chrome Alconites and a Soft Touch reel seat and it is to die for. I wouldn't drive from here to NC on a dare - flying is the modus operandi ... I sleep like a baby all the way.

Steve - The GLX would be my dead last choice of blank for the flats. IMO, too much is durability and cash is sacrificed for that weight savings. I know you buy at retail, I was just pointing out that the GL3 and IMX were MUCH less expensive than your mentioned price. Wait until I have ALL the blanks in stock and make your trip, at least then you get your gas money's worth. I don't mind letting you mull through the whole collection of inshore blanks - although you will be supervised to keep any drool off of my stuff. LOL

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 09:59AM

Love the Loomis P844, still have the spinning version in IM6 from back in the 80's that I used or just that purpose in N. Miami. When your done you'll also have a decent crankbait rod and a good all around rod you'll find other uses for.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster