I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
811 Failure
Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 09:22AM

Finished a close wrap last night and applied a coat of 811 with the old finger.Looked great when I left it.Brilliant purple and pink.Woke up the AM and it was all washed out (looks like a fresh coat of Flex coat CP).Added a second coat from a different bottle(older) and have the fingers crossed.Any comments Besides you`re beat?

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 811 Failure
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: July 06, 2007 09:35AM

I guess you didn't believe the prior posts & pictures, huh?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2007 09:38AM

What do you mean when you say "all washed out?" After CP dries, the colors tend to look a bit flat. But once finish is applied, the sparkle returns.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: July 06, 2007 10:03AM

Not with the new clear solvent smelling 811. With Red the CP sort of works, but if you have a shade all 3 REd will look exactly th same due to that CP. With Purple & dark Teal/GReen, it looks like you applied Permaglos with no CP. I assume other colors suffer the same fate with that particular version of 811. I also assumed Fred was using the new clear stuff and not the new Milky colored stuff - I havne't tried the Milky stuff.

Date: July 06, 2007 10:34AM

I thought I grabbed the old bottle not the new.The smell was a little like alcohol.
Tom,It looks like a very thin coat watery white paint was applied.Sort of like when interior painting you home and applying a primer first over a dark color.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 06, 2007 12:17PM

Doesn't sound good. I know Gudebrod has been trying to find a new version of something to market as 811. No luck so far, I guess.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: July 06, 2007 01:35PM

Fred
Do they say any thing about thinning it ?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 06, 2007 02:08PM

BIll, for what reason would anyoen thin it?

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 02:25PM

We got the latest version last week. Looks milky just like Flex Coat, Color Lock, etc...

Fred? Billy? Have you guys had this version yet? I'll send you each a bottle if you want to "test" it.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: July 06, 2007 02:34PM

I'm down to my last bottle of the old stuff so I'm watching this with interest. I do have a question. I have tried several methods of applying 811 - brush, pour on - dab off, etc. I sometimes get small bubbles that will not pop. Any secrets?

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 02:43PM

Chuck,

I used to get rid of those on the "old" stuff by simply wiping the surface with Alcohol after it had cured.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: July 06, 2007 02:54PM

Bubbles - you're probably applying too much and not wicking off the excess, or are you a multiple coat guy? If multiple coats, I have no answer for you since I only use 1 coat.

Date: July 06, 2007 03:13PM

I do use two coats. I have had some troubles with one coat - ruined a nice fade.

I've tried wicking with coffee filter pieces and that helped. Always wanting to learn from the experiences of others.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2007 03:16PM by Chuck Mills.

Date: July 06, 2007 03:18PM

I'd assume the bubbles are from the CP soaking into teh thread and forcing air out. I do get somethign which resembles bubbles which I refer to as FOAM, but that ocurs when I brush the CP around a lot. If you allow it to dry like that it will ruin a wrap. I fix it by wicking teh bubbles off with my brush, then wipin gmy brush dry, and wicking more off. If you try wicking CP off with a loaded CP brush, you'll just get more CP on the wrap. I know that sounds stupid, but I'm sure a lot of people do just that. I know I did.

Date: July 06, 2007 03:25PM

Yes, Billy, you are correct. It is more like a coarse foam that just won't go away. I'll try the wiped brush method. I'm sure I usually put too much on.

I'm very interested in reports on the 811 milky stuff.

Mark - thanks for the info.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.lsan.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: July 06, 2007 03:31PM

Billy
The flex coat CP usually left a whitish coat on when used straight, maybe this is also ??

Date: July 06, 2007 03:57PM

Chuck - I'll bet you a spool of thread that the foam appears most where threads cross over each other in butt wraps, or teh edges of a guide wrap/underwrap? For the butt wrap, just pay attention to teh direction of the thread, brush parallel to the thread when wicking teh excess foam off with a dry brush, and it will come right off. If you brush perpendicular to teh threads, ESPECAILLY at a crossover/interlocking point, you'll just create more bubbles. I've done "extensive" testing on this specific problem & te overapplying CP getting small crystal rproblem - if you look at a lot of my wraps, you'll notice I cover the end of the bottom of the wrap with teh foregrip. Underneath there I would make a ton of foam on teh threads jumbled up on top of each other, and figured out how to fix these problems for myself. Good luck, I hope that helps you out.

Date: July 06, 2007 04:49PM

I bit the bullet and applied finish to it.Looks like denim.May leave it or may cut it off,don't know yet .Will post pics later when the camera gets home.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 06, 2007 07:15PM

I'm glad you applied finish to it, now when you cut it off you'll have something to display at the NERBs gatherins at Paul's house, lol. Give dozen cutoffs I bring some company.

Date: July 06, 2007 08:22PM

I sort of like the way it looks.Maybe a signature wrap with an article in Rodmaker is in the works.I`ll need all the crappy 811 I can get!!!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster