I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

"Swimbait" rod advice
Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: July 03, 2007 11:51AM

I am not very familiar with this class of rod and would like to check with any of you that have built a swimbait rod. Mine will be a "light" power (1-3 ounce baits) constructed on an 8', 1 piece flipping rod blank. I see where some factory rods have a long rear grip (17" or so) but I assume my light power model will not need this (I plan on a 12" rear grip)? Also will my usual guide sizes (8's to 6"s) work with 20-25 pound mono? It will be a bumper wrap. Any other advice will be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Swimbait" rod advice
Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 03, 2007 12:10PM

i like to use a rod with a fast action thats kinda stiff...i use a 15-25lb class fast action rod and i also like a long butt because you can put it under your arm and its more comfortable than having to hold the rod with your hand the whole time

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 03, 2007 02:17PM

The longer grip helps to tuck the rod in under your armpit with the tip down while reeling, it takes quite a bit of the load off your arm. It also can get a little in the way while casting, etc., it can snag clothing, etc.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 03, 2007 03:13PM

For small swim baits there is no better blank than the new Lamiglas 926 F - for larger baits 927 F. Powerful, small diameter butt section, light, composite, fast action tip section, polished surface and moderate priced. This tough blank will take the punishment that goes with the territory. This new kid on the block is a winner.

Please pardon the typo in the original non edited post!!

Gratuities Accepted Todd V/Bob McK - How about a discount on the next 10!

Gon Fishn

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2007 04:00PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: July 03, 2007 03:27PM

Rainshadow SW967....in a one piece or 2 piece.. 8' 15-25 lb test, 3/4 - 4 oz lure wt, .680 butt, 7.5 tip, mod/fast action....

Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 03, 2007 04:38PM

Shikari IMB794F or MB794F. ATC took over the Shikari Line and they have some outstanding blanks. The lighter one being either the IMB803 or MB803. The heavier one is the 804 series. I use swimbaits all the time and have found these blanks to be the best. A 12-14" split grip fits very nicely in the armpit. For really big swimbaits, they have an 805 series, which I have never tried.

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: July 03, 2007 04:52PM

Thanks for the advice! I will try several rear grip lengths and see which one works. Really will need to print this post out for Swimbait II! That will be one for the 6" and larger baits. We have Shad around here that must weight 2 pounds so I see no reason why a big swimbait would not work. So many rods...

Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2007 11:09PM

Ok Bill, I've built 3 swimbait rods so far and plan on building a few more after I finish my 2nd flipp'n stick. I've built on the Rainshadow SW967 blank. It's an 8' blank and you can get it in matte clear or transparent black. You said you wanted a 12" handle, I suppose that's what you want, most swimbait rods I have seen and built have 14" handles so you can tuck it under your arm pit. Well anyways, Blank is 8' 15-25 line and 3/4-4oz it has a parabolic bend and works great with the 9" MS Slammer, Mission fish, 9"7" and smaller baits. I have 12 Alconite fuji guides 16,12,10,8,8,8,7,7,7,7,7 tip 7 sounds like a lot but it's what I prefer. 14" EVA rear grips and a 4" fore grip. I went out recently to a lake that I have tournament fished on in the past with a buddy who I built a Rainshadow for and he caught a bass of a lifetime 10.20 and then it was my turn, I hooked up with a 10.90 lb my 6th over 10+, Thanks Batson, I'm very happy with the rod. When you hook a big bass on this blank it really loads up, so you don't have to worry about tearing the hooks out, like on so of the heavy hitting rods. I have had in the past the lamiglas big bait special but got rid of it. Don't know to much about the G. Loomis other than it is a back bounce rod for salmon but hear it makes for a good swimbait rod. If you want to check out some swimbait rod reviews go to www.calfishing.com. If you have any question you can e-mail me at Basschamp61@comcast.net. Steve

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 04, 2007 09:08AM

Steve Bolton - question please. Are you wrapping with conventional guides on top? The blanks I am now using for longer flippin and swim bait rods now have a somewhat faster tip section than the older heavy stuff. I am unable to use the low fly Alconites with a reasonable number on top. I run out with sixes and it requires even more than you are using. I have ended up spiral wrapping to keep the guide number within reason. Some of the guide spacing when putting the Alconites on top really looked wierd in the fast action section of the blanks. Totally understood on the tearing hooks out with the old telephone poles! The 926F Lami is new and is not like the old big bait stuff.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2007 11:48AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.sip.bct.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 05, 2007 01:31PM

shad that weigh 2 pounds....we use those in a spillway close to my house to catch 30+lb snook ;)

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 07, 2007 08:03PM

Bill. You wanted some advice - here goes - forget the flippin' blanks for swim baits - on the small trebles you'll just tear out the hooks. A good choice for swim baits up to 1 1/2 oz. would be ATC's IMB 805 - cut to any length that will fit your rod locker. For 1-4 oz. try ATC's BB804 - when in doubt on the handle length - go longer. A 12 inch all day with big baits and big fish will beat you down - try 14 1/2 inches and tuck with the tip down . Best bet is to build both - one is never enough when you get the swim bait obsession.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster