I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ultra Light Float rod
Posted by: Dan Colville (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2007 10:12PM

Hey guys. I am wrapping a 13 ft lamiglas float blank for 3-5 lb steelhead. I want it to be as light as possible. I do not want to go much smaller then a 8 or a 6 on the guides. What guide would you recommend? I am thinking about the REC Recoils or the amtack nano lights. Thanks.

Thanks,

Dan Colville

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultra Light Float rod
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: July 02, 2007 10:54PM

I have heard good things about Janns Netcraft's Flexilite Guides.

[www.jannsnetcraft.com]
[www.jannsnetcraft.com]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: John F Richardson (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2007 11:11PM

I would look at Batson F series that is what I have on my steelhead blanks.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2007 12:30AM

Dan,

If you need larger sized guides, nothing touches the recoils in lightweight. I would consider the RSFX. 0.06 grams. 28.4 grams per ounce. It's also relatively low cost.

If you want ceramic, the Fuji TLSGs are significantly lighter than the Titans you mentioned. I think between 30-40% lighter.

Mo

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2007 03:54AM by Mo Yang.

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 03, 2007 01:55AM

Recoils, IMHO

20, 12, 10, 8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Dan Colville (24.75.1.---)
Date: July 03, 2007 08:42AM

Thanks alot guys. You guys are the best.

Danny- Why would you skip size 16 in layout...typo?
thanks,
Dan Colville

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 03, 2007 12:51PM

Dan...
The only guides I put on my float rods are Janns Netcraft's Flexilite Guides. IMHO... Recoils are VERY good too, but the Flexlite guides with the TICH finish have a harder finish, and are much cheaper.

Also, what I do is run a sz 20 & 12 traditional hi-frame ceramic guide, then run a SZ10 flexlite then all 7's after that. I have built a few of these rods that you have described, and this works really well!

GOod luck...
Paul

Date: July 03, 2007 01:30PM

Dan Colville Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks alot guys. You guys are the best.
>
> Danny- Why would you skip size 16 in
> layout...typo?
> thanks,
> Dan Colville

Dan,

It was suggested to me that it was unecessiary to add all those guide sizes, so I tried it...I agree. I also like to use the high frames like Paul reccomended for the 1st 2 guides from the butt. One of my personal favorite guide set up has been...

20,12(high)10, 8(mid), 8 inserted fly guides all the way out and a size 8 tip top. I do however like the fly guides that stand off the blank a little bit, like the Batson FL's. Some of the inserted fly guides, like the Titans for instance, sit too close to the blank for my liking, for this application.

I've ran a bunch of different guide configurations and liked most of them, for the most part. I like the recoils, but don't like to mix and match them for astetics soley. Paul, touts them flexlites, and I really have to give em a shot....to be 100% honest, the only reason I havn't is the price.....They are too cheap.(Man thout sounds snobish.) I can't see throwing a $20 set of guides on a couple hundred dollar blank, but heck, if the shoe fits......Every blank is a lil' different for me, depending on the length of the sections. Ive found that running higher frame guides all the way out, its a lil' tricky for me to get the look and the flow that I want, but using the sections as a guide helps me get what I'm looking for....I'll try to explain....

On a 11'6 4 pc float rod blank I'm working on, Im using 13 guides total, that includes the tip. The but section has no guides on it... the second section has 3 guides, third section has 4, and the 4th has 5. If i run say, high frame guides of the same size as the cross guides when it goes over the ferule, I get a bit of a hump in the flow if the guide on the next section(working form the butt, for example) if blacked any where near the female ferrulle on the next section up. If there is a reduction in guide height, or size its more fluid.

So the 1st 3 guides are 20, 12, 10, high, the next section are 10, 8(mid) 8 fly X2. and the last section are all 8 fly guides....I've added an extra large guide in there, but I helps me get away rom that hump.(it seems to me on the multi piece rods, there is alaways a guide laying close to the female ferule on the sections)

It sort of hard to explain, but the bottom line is I try to get down as fast as possible in guide size with out creating any humps, so to speak. That inliminates using multiple size 10 guides as I've seen some do. On a 2 pc blank, I get down really quick, 20, 12, 10, 8 all the way....but on multi-piece blanks, like 4 pcers(Ive been using more and more of) I got to tweek it a bit, to get the look and flow I want.

I rambled on too much already, but every builder has their own ways of doing things....Personally, I down't run smaller than a size 8 guide on my float rods, to help with ice up, but if they are warm weather rods(I don't know too many guys that can afford to have multi-rods for different seasons, but there are a few)I'd go as small as 6's for the runners....

Good luck Dan, I saw your website.....Looking good man!

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2007 01:40PM by Danny Ross.

Date: July 03, 2007 07:28PM

Well said Danny...And the next time your in AK, we need to go fishing! I mean it.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: July 04, 2007 08:19PM

Dan,

I think you can use the match style guides ,model "M"(BATSON ENTERPRISES,PACIFIC BAY).
I use this guides to build over 6 long rods(10'-16') and i am very happy with this rods,no problems.

Jean

Date: July 05, 2007 02:33PM

All due respect, the "M" guides dampen the rod down considerable on an ultra-light action float rod due to the guides being about 70% heavier. Just my observations and findings of using them for many rods now. I do like the colors they come in though!!!

Paul

Date: July 06, 2007 02:51AM

Sorry Paul,because this type of guides have long leg ,you don't need so many guides.I build spinning rod on blank 9'w4 and the rod is perfect and light for my test.

Date: July 06, 2007 12:04PM

Jean,

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply they don't work, actually most float rods have them. But after trying some new products, the Flexlite guides work much better and make the rod feel like it was a blank with nothing on it.

I built two rods of the same blank: One with the standard "M" guide and the other with the Flexlite guides-results---the rod with the flexlite guides was like night/day lighter and crisper than the rod with the "m" guide.

Why do you say that "because the guide is long-legged, you don't need as many guides"? The leggs of the guide don't have anyhting to do with the amount of guides needed on a rod IMHO...Action of the rod plays more of a factor than the length of the leggs-maybe I'm missing something, just never herd of that as a consideration for # of guides. Look forward to hearing from ya Jean.

Paul

Date: July 06, 2007 12:22PM

I guess it goes back to different builders do different things for what "they" feel is best for "them". On a side note, Paul, I just ordered a set of those Flexlites to give em a shot....I'm sure they'll be more than adaquite...

Peace bro...

- Herbert Spencer

Date: July 06, 2007 01:42PM

Paul,

I don't know the FLEXLITE guides,so i can tell nothing.

About of number of guides i can tell you for my 3.15m.(10'3") spinning rod build by me on ALL STAR AUSTIN W8 blank i use just 6 match guides,and the rod work perfect.If you send me your e-mail address i can send some pictures to see how the rod work fighting with big fish.
If you use regular guides you need more guides because in wet days the fine line touch the blank and you can't cast small float or lures.The mach guides with long leg help the line to not touch the wet blank.
Sorry ,i can explain better(my bad English).

Jean

Date: July 06, 2007 01:44PM

Paul,

I don't know the FLEXLITE guides,so i can tell nothing.

About of number of guides i can tell you for my 3.15m.(10'3") spinning rod build by me on ALL STAR AUSTIN W8 blank i use just 6 match guides,and the rod work perfect.If you send me your e-mail address i can send some pictures to see how the rod work fighting with big fish.
If you use regular guides you need more guides because in wet days the fine line touch the blank and you can't cast small float or lures.The mach guides with long leg help the line to not touch the wet blank.
Sorry ,i can explain better(my bad English).

Jean

Date: July 06, 2007 03:34PM

Danny...

Right on-I hope you likie them as much as I do. If you don't, I'll buy you a beer when ya get here.!!!

Jean...

I have herd that keeping the line further away from th blank..I personnaly think it is a myth. I have a 15 foot Raven I use with really light floats and fish in monsoons, with no problem. I have one rod with single foot fly rod ceramics on that are right on the balnk too. But hey, if it works for ya-more power to ya fellow floater.

But, the lenght of the legs on the guides does not mean you can use less guides. Like you said, the only purpose of the high-frame guide is to keep it away from the blank. And, I would go out on a limb now by saying that the same sz guide in the M is heavier than the VS due to more material.

Also, I really think that 6 guides on a 10.5' rod is too few guides. Sure it may work, but does it work best? But if you like it run with it.

Also, your English is fine-not a worry bro, you communicate well.

Respectfully,
Paul

Date: July 07, 2007 01:45AM

Paul,

If you try to fish with 0.3g.-0.5g.(0.01oz.--0.0176oz.) float and 0,10mm.(0.0039 inch) line you can see what is hapening in wet days if you don't have match guide with long leg,or double number of regular match guides.
You can't cast because the wet line stick on the wet blank.I was fishing a lot in Europe with long match rod(10'-29'!!!) and i know what i say.

Around Houston i fish 90% with jig in sweet water and salt water on the bank using long rod(10'-19'),never under 10'.I don't care if the fishing literature telling the best rod is 7'.
Many time i catch more fish like another fishermens with shorter rods.
Please belive me ,my 10'3" ALL STAR AUSTIN rod ,with 6 match guides model "M" ,work perfect.For this reason i was asking for your e-mail to send you some pictures so you can see the rod when i am fighting with big fish with FIRELINE 4lb.and 1/16oz-1/8oz.crappie GAMAKATSU jig.

Best whises,

Jean

P.S. Now i know how look the FLEXLITE and i don't like.Whay you don't use instead RECOIL guides??

Date: July 07, 2007 08:31AM

Jean...

Well in the case that you pointed out, I have never fished with that light of float and never will ever here in Alaska. The absolute smallest float I use is a 4.2g float, and I can tell you at least for this weight of a float and higher, that the guide height does not anyway shape or form slow the line down when its raining. Especially after tha cast has been made-the line is already down and under the blank riding on the guides. But, in your case, being so very very light (the diameter of human hair) I'm sure it does...Surface tension of the water can be great sometimes.

The reasons I do not use recoil guides are:

1. MUCH more expensive...
2. The guide height is smaller on smaller guides...
3. The Recoil large SZ 20 thru 12 spinning guides look exactly like the Flexlites, so why would you not like them, they are the same physically?
4. They are not as hard as Flexlites. Flexlites have an ULTRA HARD TiCh finish, and I have herd by several reputable rod buiulders that they groove.
5. I have seen Reoil tip-top guides that groove after one season.
6. They only come in silver color.

But since Danny has tried some of the Flexlites, I'm gonna try some of the recoils.

Take care Jean,
Paul

Date: July 07, 2007 02:07PM

Paul and Jean,

The recoils have had their issues, thats for sure, buts its one of those things(for me at least)where I think the pro's out weight the cons. I'm quite hard on my gear, and the recoils are bomb proof. As far as the tip top issues Paul was refering to, I don't use the recoil tip tops, they sit way to close to the blank for my liking, and most of the grooving issues I've read about were with the tips(although I've expreienced some with the guides and read about it a few times too). The groving I experienced did not effect their performance and did not cause any fraying to the line. I trying out a set of the new recoils that have a light coating on them, I havn't had a cance to put the through the ringer yet, but soon enough I'll beat the snot out of them. The fact that they are super light and make for a very light feeling 11' + rod really keeps me plugging away at them. The are very sensative too, I'ts almost like I can feel mr. steelie smelling my bag before the float drops...Alright, I've went to far now....LOL

Take care guys!

- Herbert Spencer

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster