I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Epoxy Measuring
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: July 02, 2007 06:28AM

Take some of your leftover finish after doing a rod and put a thin coat over the syringe markings. They'll never wear off.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jim spooner (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 02, 2007 07:18AM

I use Cabela’s “Two-Part Professional Rod Finish”. Which comes in a pre-measured .13 ounce (3.5 grams) packet (enough for one rod). They cost about a buck apiece which may be pricy, but they are very convenient to use and I get good results with them. You just fold the packet, snip off the corner and squeeze out.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2007 08:25AM

For those of you that use larger amounts of epoxy at a time ... Flexcoat not only offers the 3cc syringes, they also have 12cc syringes. IMO, there is no reason not to properly measure the epoxy prior to mixing and there is no better way than the use of these tools, IMO.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2007 10:50AM

Michael Joyce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its probablly the worst method EVER!!! But on
> large SW rods I've had success by just pouring and
> eyeballing 5 cc of each in a graduated measuring
> cup. (7.5cc with a butt wrap). Limited mess, no
> syringes.

Same way here. I biught a case of 5000 cups from a medical supply shop and mix using the "dram" markings. One dram each part for up to two or maybe three rods and up to three or four drams each part for larger offshore rods. Use a popcicle stick to stir, pour in a pie tin over dried up finish then throw away.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: July 02, 2007 02:56PM

Just for fun, I moved a bunch of stuff from under the bench and pulled out my big bottles of FlexCoat. It's been over three years since I've used it and the syringes were stuck, (black plunger type, almost no markings) but worked with a bit of coaxing. Thats over three years, hole in cap and old syringes. It's the best method of storage and use that I can think of.

Posted by: Chase Foster (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2007 05:15PM

Chris Beverley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have some Mudhole rod repair syringes and needle
> tips. Are these suitable? They have the black
> stopper piece in them. I notice that the Flexcoat
> ones have this also.
>
> I have used these needles he speaks of, the only purpose I found for them was on my 2nd build, I was too light on the rod-bond under the cork, I could feel it wanting to turn, so I mixed up some 5- minute epoxy, put it in the needled syringe and stuck it in a few spots of the cork. It was a rookie mistake but those needled syringes saved my handle. Just thought I would share.

Chase Foster
American Tackle
www.americantackle.us

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2007 07:36PM

I have a drawer full of those repair syringes and needles - they are not only convenient for repairing our own shortcomings, they are wonderful for fixing many of the substandard reel seat installations on factory rods. I recommend that EVERYONE own a few ... Mud Hole carries them and they are not expensive, but they will save your backside.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 02, 2007 09:47PM

i agree with mike barkley i use the LS syringes and they work excellent i also use the flex coat cups which have measurements on the cup....i measure with the syringe and see if the measurement is the same on the cup and its spot on every time...also for mixing get a metal spatula the one from @#$%& is only a couple of bucks and its soooo much easier to keep the bubbles out when mixing with that over a mixing stick...plus you can wipe off and reuse forever haha

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 03, 2007 03:58PM

Finish and hardner in bottles with Yorker caps - stainless steel measureing spoons (1/4 teaspoon smallest used) - plastic cup - mix with back end of last disposable brush used - dump in aluminum pan - chunk it all in trash -

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 03, 2007 07:51PM

I've been doing it the same way Scott explained for 26 years. Having the scale first helped me make the decision, though...

Putter
Williston, ND

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster