I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heavy duty trolling butts
Posted by: Dick Zrudsky (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2007 12:36PM

What is the best way to fill in a rod with a 5/8 OD fiber glass solid rod to fit a aluminum 19 inch
trolling butt with reel seat and rod going thru to the butt ? I'm sure duct tape is not the answer. Thanks for any help.

Dick Zrudsky

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heavy duty trolling butts
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 01, 2007 03:05PM

Some of the urethane arbors would be a good bet. Available in enough sizes so that something is going to be very close to fitting the aluminium butt and they can be quickly centered bored to fit the blank perfectly. They're strong once enclosed and pretty much impervious to the elements. And they're very inexpensive.

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: July 02, 2007 07:26AM

Dick

I tried the large arbors and I had a hard time keeping the hole straiht to get to the diameter I wanted. If I had the right tools, I would be better..lol..

I use drywall tape and rod bond to build up the area and find that to work as well. Just make sure the rod bon goes into the tape.

Ernie

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 02, 2007 03:38PM

I have built a few thousand trolling and standup rods that extent into the butt and are glued in to make it a one piece. I have always used masking tape for bushings and have yet to see one fail. Jesse

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 02, 2007 10:39PM

I've never understood why anyone would argue for mediocrity. Dump the tape and do your best. You may thank yourself in a few years.

The arbors would be great but the drywall tape and Rod Bond is how I've done them. Works great! And I'm sure it's really strong and durable.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 04, 2007 08:25AM

Personally I have been waiting 30+ years for a masking tape arbor to come loose. When I first started I used to use twine or cord to make full length arbors to fit under the entire reel seat. I then used scotch tape to make bands for arbors. Then finally went to masking tape. About a year ago I posted some pics here of a rod whose reel seat I had cut away to reveal the bond between the blank and reel seat. It had masking tape arbors, perfectly intact. I built the rod 15 years ago and the rod had broken in two at the foregrip when the trolling lure snagged the bottom with the line fouled at the reel.

Even if the masking tape paper rots away the epoxy bond still would have held the reel seat securely.

I have been using thin bands of masking tape on all heavy trolling uni-butts, storabutts, gimbals, reel seats, with no failures.

(deleted this part, don't want to offend anyone)

Lou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2007 08:27AM by Lou Reyna.

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: July 04, 2007 08:35AM

The only failures I have seen on any sort of reel seats or butts has been when masking tape bushings have been used. I may still have a failure here somewhere and if I can find it I will post a picture of it.

If I remember correctly we had someone from a company that manufactures masking tape on this board a year or two ago that stated that masking tape was not intended for this type of application and that he would not use it for mounting seats and things. And he makes the stuff. I figure he should know the limitations of his own product.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster