I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Long 6wt blank - CTS or Dan Craft?
Posted by: David Tarbath (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: July 01, 2007 04:45AM

I am after a blank to replace my old Sage RPL. It is 11'3" 6wt, a great rod, but I can see it is getting towards the end of its life. I broke its tip, its been repaired but its had a hard life and too many knocks to realistically expect it to last much longer. I thought that I would get in quick, build a new one while I still had something to fish with.

Most of my fishing is for trout on lakes from a boat (hence the knocks). I fish either a team of three wet flies on a short (7wt) line, or cast dries up to 70 feet. It gets windy here, so I want a powerful rod, but not a fast one. The RPL has an AA of 63, ERN of 6.9.

I would consider something shorter than the RPL, perhaps 10'6". This would help me fit it in the boat without bashing the tip so often, and still give me enough length to work the wet flies. I would like a 4 piece 6 wt rod. I want something moderately fast, but not as quite as fast as my river rod, which is a Sage XP (too fast + my casting + three fly team = tangles).

I have had a look at the Dan Craft and CTS catalogues. Dan Craft make a 10' 6wt blank model FT1006-4, which is a bit short but I could live with it. However, it is described as fast action, which sounds a bit like my XP. I also see in the Common Cents data sheet that the FT range mostly has a higher AA than I want, and the FT1006 has a higher ERN than I want.

CTS make a range called the Affinity One series, which include multi-piece blanks to 11'0". Does anyone have any experience with the longer rods in this range? Would you describe them as fast or moderately fast? I see the CC data for some of their blanks is very variable. Does this mean that you don't always get what you want?

Apart from CTS or Dan Craft, any other ideas for a long 6wt?
Cheers
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Long 6wt blank - CTS or Dan Craft?
Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: July 01, 2007 09:04AM

You might take a look at the Dan Craft FT 1005-4. Mine AA's at 67, a range that most of the FT 10 footers fall in and the ERN is in the 7 range. I chose this blank for the same purposes you are expressing.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: July 01, 2007 09:52AM

I would get with R.B. Meiser to the left and see if one of his 10 ft 6 in Trouter rod blanks would fit your needs. I bet he has just what your looking for, or can recommend a blank, especially with your presentation. A lot of his blanks, and many, if not all, the two handed CTS blanks are his designs.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: July 01, 2007 11:42AM

Spencer has given you good advice about contacting RB Meiser. One more note I would add is don't become too concerned with the manufacturers line weight designation on fly rods. It will be fairly arbitrary. If you see a line of blanks you are interested in check the ERN's listed in the CCS data site to to find a blank that meets your requirements. One chosen that way usually will be closer to what you desire than the number designated by the vendor in my experience.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: David Tarbath (---.utas.edu.au)
Date: July 01, 2007 07:38PM

Thank you Stan and Spencer. I had a look at RB Meiser's range a while ago and thought that they looked interesting rods. I will contact him.

Otherwise, as you suggest Stan, the Dan Craft FT1005-4 might suit. I have a 8'4" 2/3wt 5 piece rod built on a Dan Craft blank, beautiful rod, and I regret that I rarely get the opportunity to use it. I have seen several other rods built on their blanks, I think Sig IV's and Sig V's, which also impressed me.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster