I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

scales for weighing stuff?
Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: July 01, 2007 02:27AM

everybody talks about weight of components. a recent thread about guide weight has me thinking (again) about the weight of some of the components i use. can anyone recommend a scale and where i can find one, particularly at usual in-town outlets which wold be helpful in weighing guides and such?

thanks

eric
fresno, ca.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: scales for weighing stuff?
Posted by: Scott Throop (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2007 05:36AM

Harbor Freight Tools has a cool little digital pocket scale...cheap, but very functional and very accurate. It measures in ounces and grams, has a tare function as well as a counting function. Been a handy little tool for the 10 bucks or so that I paid for it. I use it primarily to measure out equal parts of finish and epoxy, but perfect for weighing rod components. Ive even weighed blanks with it...tricky, but do-able. If you dont have Harbor Freight nearby, cigar shops usually have similar scales, typically in the $30-50 range. I think I've seen them at Radio Shack as well. Heres a pic of mine in action comparing the weights of some guides: [www.deep-color.com]

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 01, 2007 05:36AM

...sorry, double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2007 05:37AM by Scott Throop.

Posted by: anthony velden (---.mel.iprimus.net.au)
Date: July 01, 2007 05:45AM

Hi Eric I use powder scales (for reloading firearm amunition) to weigh stuff. Should be able to get them from a sports store or anywere that sells firearms.Two types available digital & beam type the beam type ones generaly only weigh in grains 15.43 grains to a gram. Digital lets you switch betwwen grains & grams & are a lot quicker & easyer to use so i'd go with digital if Icould

sometimes your the windscreen sometimes your the bug

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 01, 2007 08:04AM

ERic, get one with as fine a measurement as possible, or it will not be accurate with teh smaller guides....which you'll end up haveing to weigh in lots of 5 or 10 anyway to get an accurate weight.

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: July 01, 2007 09:39AM

I have an electronic pocket scale that I picked up on @#$%& for about $20 that is great for weighing rod blanks, finished rods, etc.

When it comes down to weighing individual guides, even wire guides, I use my powder beam scale as it will weigh very small items with great accuracy. If it can weigh indivdual grains of gunpowder, it can handle those huge clunky pieces of wire some people use for rod guides.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: July 01, 2007 10:00AM

I use my old beam powder scale for the light stuff.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 01, 2007 11:34AM

Scales for reloading need to be accurate and have fine resolution. Like most things these days, they are repackagings. Lab, pharma, and jewelers scales no doubt.
Anything with resolution in the .01gram and .1 grain range should be fine for weighing rod components. Overkill even for rod building.
If you want to weigh complete rods, reels, and such, you will need a coarser scale capable of greater loads tho. The scales for reloading limit out at around 1 or 2 ounces usually.

One sign of an accurate scale is one that comes with check weights, and if electronic has a calibration mode using check weights.

Some may question this, but accuracy in weighing rods and components is not a life or death situation, as pharma and reloading are. There are far cheaper electronic scales around where the absolute numeric accuracy may be a bit off, but they work just fine relative to their own measurements. Such scales are less than 1/2 the price of the ones used for critical apps and are all over @#$%& and at places like Harbor Freight.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: July 02, 2007 03:05AM

Yes, you want something with resolution down to 0.01 grams if you are weighing small fly guides.

Sounds crazy as 28.4 grams makes one ounce.

The cheapie stuff on @#$%& works just fine but as observed, you may need to weight a few and average them out

Mo

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 02, 2007 10:14PM

Actually I found the cheap ones to be repeatable. Weigh a few things, then weigh them again on the same scale. Same answer. But take those same things and put them on a good scale, and you can get slightly different answers. Now do you care if a shown 1 gram is really 0.97 grams? If you do, then you probably need to go expensive, and have proffesional calibration done periodically.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: July 04, 2007 08:01AM

I also have the scale that Harbor Freight sells. I find it pretty accurate and easy to use.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: July 05, 2007 12:50AM

Eric, the harbour freight off of 99 and shaw is where ya need to go.

Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Posted by: RON NIX (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: July 06, 2007 11:09PM

Eric;

I just bought the small, digital scale mentioned in the posts above (Item #93543). Regular price is $17.99. It's on their website for $9.99. I told that to the cashier in the store and she cheerfully charged the lower price. I figured for ten bucks it was worth a try. Seems o.k., but if you haven't got one yet, I thought I'd let you know.

RON.

Posted by: Jim Williams (166.165.181.---)
Date: July 08, 2007 05:15PM

Will the scales listed above weigh fly lines accurately?
Jim

Date: July 08, 2007 10:05PM

JIM;
I HAVEN'T WORKED WITH THE CHEAP DIGITAL i BOUGHT FROM HARBOR FREIGHT ENOUGH TO DETERMINE IT'S ACCURACY. HOWEVER, I JUST READ YOUR POST AND QUICKLY WEIGHED TWO SINKERS ( MARKED 5 OZ.) THAT WERE HANDY. THE LITTLE DIGITAL SCALE SAID EACH WEIGHED 4.75 OZ. I RAN INTO THE KITCHEN AND WEIGHED THEM ON OUR DIGITAL KITCHEN SCALE WHICH IS ACCURATE (AND A LOT MORE EXPENSIVE). SURE ENOUGH, 4 AND 3/4 OZ. I DON'T KNOW IF THIS TELLS YOU MUCH. I'LL TAKE IT INTO FISHERMAN'S TOMORROW AND WEIGH SOME FLY LINES AND LET YOU KNOW...

FOR REAL ACCURACY, I WOULD GUESS YOU WOULD STILL BE BETTER OFF WITH A QUALITY BEAM TYPE POWDER SCALE. SOMEWHERE IN THE $80-$100 RANGE.

RON.

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: July 08, 2007 10:34PM

The weight of lead sinkers is not very accurate. Most tend to be a little lighter than their marked weight. When I got my scale, I put ten pennies on the scale and got a weight for the group of ten. Pennies minted after 1996 that are in fairly good condition have a well known weight (see the Common Cents System). I used this measurement to judge the accuracy of my Harbor Freight scale. I don't remember the numbers I got, but I remember being pretty happy with it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2007 10:36PM by Rob Matarazzo.

Date: July 09, 2007 12:43AM

ROB;

I didn't expect the sinkers to be accurate, just wanted to compare the weights to my kitchen scale. Now, what I really feel stupid about is I didn't think about the Common Cents System when I picked up the sinkers. Especially as I have a couple rolls of freshly minted pennies in my desk. Converting grains to ounces, my calculator says 10 pennies should weigh 0.8825087 ounces. My digital scale said my pennies weighed 0.89 ounces. For my purposes, that's reasonably accurate. So I'd say I'm pretty happy with the numbers too.

By the way, until I come up with a 500 gram check weight, I've discovered that a 500 ML (16.9 fluid Oz.) container of bottled water weighs just over 500 grams. I Weighed a 6 pack of them and they are 530 grams each. For now, I'm pouring a little out until I have 500 grams on my Kitchen scale. What do you think? Do you know where I can get a 500 gram check weight?

RON.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/09/2007 06:29PM by RON NIX.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster