I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color Preserver on Metallic Thread?
Posted by: Barry Stolzenberg (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 29, 2007 04:09PM

I am building a new rod using Gudbrod's "Electric Blue" metallic thread as an underwrap. Do I need to use color preerver on the metallic thread? I don't want to take away from the sheen of the thread with color preserver if I do not have to.

Surfcaster

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color Preserver on Metallic Thread?
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2007 04:17PM

No you don't need it.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 29, 2007 04:31PM

Marks right you dont need it but it may help reduce the tendancy of bubble formation when you put the finish on.

Posted by: Steve Edmondson (---.127-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 29, 2007 05:36PM

I just got done using that exact thread and used CP. Still shines great

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: June 29, 2007 05:46PM

I would use it just because it helps you burnish your overwrap thread.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2007 06:20PM

I shoulda known five words wouldn't cover it. lol

As far as it changing the color/shine/luster, it depends on the CP and the thread color more than anything. Some CP's WILL take away from the shine, especially on "Electra" metallics. I just went through that on 9002 Electra with 811CP. The 9002 was inlayed into 246 Nylon so I HAD to use CP and it DID dull the prismatic effect somewhat.

CP will release bubbles better than most finishes and can make the metallic underwrap easier to wrap over. I use "A" Metallic on underwraps with "C" or "D" overwraps, so I don't get the gapping problems that Karry's eluding to. Many people (and factories) will actually coat metallic underwraps with finish before installing the guides to make the overwraps pack better. I don't. I do the whole underwrap/overwrap process, then apply a thin coat of Lite finish, which also releases bubbles easily.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Barry Stolzenberg (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 29, 2007 08:05PM

Gudebrod #9050 HT Metallic - Electric Blue Size A is what I'm using.

Surfcaster

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.122.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 29, 2007 11:54PM

Barry, what CP are you using? That is what Mark is talking about. The thread isn't terribly important. A clear CP won't impact metallics much, but others, especially the milky ones, can dull them down. In the future, if you feel that you must use underwraps, I would suggest using permagloss for sealing/bubble prevention/easier overwraps, though a thin coat of epoxy finish will do the same. As Mark said though, if you can plan on babysitting the rod for a while, you can use nothing at all and just finish over the whole mess and just keep a sharp eye for the occasional bubble.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 30, 2007 02:45AM

May I suggest that you burnish and roll your wraps.An always make sure the wrap is packed tight. If this is not done those hidden gaps that you can only see with a magnifier, well show up like a sore thumb.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: June 30, 2007 02:47PM

Bob

You really burnish mettalics?

You must have a magical tool to allow that..lol..

Posted by: Rich Matranga (---.dsl.scrm01.pacbell.net)
Date: July 03, 2007 03:10AM

I just finished a halibut rod and am building a Dorardo rod right now. I used Gudebrod #9050 HT Metallic - Electric Blue Size on both. I burnished the thread on both without any problems at all. I used a small glass tube (like a test tube) which worked perfectly.

Rich Matranga
Folsom, California

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: July 04, 2007 02:34PM

Ernie. I lightly press the metalic going one way then revers the process. Then I use my roller
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster