I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gadgets
Posted by: Greg McCullough (64.135.248.---)
Date: June 28, 2007 04:55PM

HI All,
Not so new to building or lurking around on this site but very new to posting here. My question is this, of all the equipment and things you use in rod building is there one or two in particular that sticks out in your mind as a “have to have” gadget. I have most all the large ($) equipment I need for now but I have been wondering if there isn’t a whole lot of other, smaller things out there that go overlooked by long time builders as being so obvious they feel everybody should have enough sense to own one.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gadgets
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: June 28, 2007 05:00PM

I find the butt wrap alignment tool handy.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 28, 2007 05:14PM

A good adjustable rod holder to mount on your bench for doing static guide placement.
Also a bunch of clear plastic tackle boxes made by Plano for storing guides, thread , and other small items. I have found them real handy.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 28, 2007 05:27PM

A set of very inexpensive Vernier calipers ($12 General brand is good enough) is very helpful for a multitude of measuring tasks.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 28, 2007 06:48PM

Medication for obsessive/compulsive dissorder

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 28, 2007 07:40PM

A bobkin, burnishing tool, hair trimming single edge razor blades from Sally's Beauty supply, and believe it or not I use a small level quite a bit. When I get ready to set the guides on the blank for wrapping I place the level on my reel seats (Fugis) to make sure that I am on the right plane or axis of the rod.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 28, 2007 08:59PM

A couple of pictures -

Tools
[www.rodbuilding.org]

CoonAzetti Portable Rod Crate

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/29/2007 08:12AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2007 09:47PM

Time........

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 28, 2007 10:26PM

M.J.'s statement and Bill's photo says it all!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 28, 2007 10:28PM

Good lighting and a headband magnifier. If I can't see well when I'm doing something, no gadget will save me.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 28, 2007 11:32PM

I'll second Tom K. on the calipers. That or a good spatula for applying epoxy.

Time and medication would be nice as well.

How about a credit card with no limit you never have to pay back? Now THAT would be handy!! :-)

Wait. I got it. A plane ticket to the 2008 ICRBE in High Point.....

Posted by: Ray Austin (---.ga.at.cox.net)
Date: June 28, 2007 11:34PM

Found a great adjustable 'Natural sunlight" lamp at a sewing store. Has 4x magnifier lens and can be adjusted to give the magnefication and light my over 55 eyes need to see what my hands are doing. Has a very heavy base to stabilize, absolutely the greatest gadget for me.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 29, 2007 12:19AM

After seeing (pun intended!) the mention of a good magnifier (either head or table or both)
I'm reminded that like Putter said "If I can't see well when I'm doing something, no gadget will save me."
I have to agree whole heartedly! Most of my life I had above average vision! NOT NO MORE!

I can mickymouse just about any contraption needed to build rods if nessisary but not my MAGNIFIERS!!!!

But my Wonder Weaver has not arrived yet. Maybe I'll just have 2 gadgets I can't live without! LOL

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 29, 2007 12:56AM

Didital calipers that are also metric. ID, OD,and depth guage. Got mine from Acid Rod. Couldn't do without them.

Posted by: Greg McCullough (64.135.248.---)
Date: June 29, 2007 03:22AM

First thanks to all for replying to this post, I see things mentioned I have already and some I don’t which are now on a list (where are my OCD meds) of items I need to have. I was “fishing” for things from outside the normal areas you would look to for tools or equipment used in this craft and there are some mentioned in the replies I had not thought of. Again thanks to all for taking the time to respond.

Posted by: John Bunner (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 29, 2007 03:35AM

A good set of cork reamers!!!!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 29, 2007 06:38AM

Good lighting, thread picks and burnishers. Also rollers
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (116.90.53.---)
Date: June 29, 2007 11:07AM

After all these years of rod building, the best tool I have is a comfortable chair, which allows me to sit and relax at the workbench for long periods of time.

Mine is some kind of fancy office typing chair with suspension (?) and lots of adjustments.

If your not comfortable you can't do good work i reckon.

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: June 29, 2007 11:31AM

Dental picks and a Book stand for holding pattern books and such. I have a cheapo like this one.
[www.amazon.com]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (199.76.179.---)
Date: June 29, 2007 09:54PM

Xm radio...It helps keep me relaxed...well I guess any radio would do that but atleast with XM i don't have to listen to any commercials.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster