I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rating a blank
Posted by: shawn storey (24.167.103.---)
Date: June 27, 2007 10:19PM

ok with all this talk about resonant frequencies and class ratings on blanks i decided to finally ask a question i've been pondering for awhile. last year i bought a few unmarked blanks from andy before he turned distributor only. he wasn't sure what the blanks were or the ratings on them but they felt good to me and the price was right so i picked them up. anyways i was wondering since i have these unmarked blanks how do i find out what the lure rating size should be and what the line rating should be. they feel fairly stiff with a pretty slow taper and i have a few rods that feel similiar to them that are in the 1 ounce rating. the rods range from a 6'9" to 8'.

i also have a few old allstars that i also bought from andy that have tags on them but forgot what the ratings were on them. so if i give the model numbers could somebody tell me what they are?

ok here's the model numbers
BAT905SB
1GSC1027 MBLK
BAT826T

thanks for any and all help

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rating a blank
Posted by: Mike Barkley (69.14.232.---)
Date: June 27, 2007 10:25PM

I would look at a few blank lists and compare the specs Butt/Tip sizes, length/power and get an educated guess From the numbers, the 1st would be a 5 power, 2nd 7 power and the last 6 power

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (70.58.195.---)
Date: June 27, 2007 11:39PM

Shawn,
I'm no expert on All Stars, but I think the BAT designation was the IM-10 series blanks. 826T could be a pitch/jig blank MH power, 12-20 lb line, 3/8 to 3/4 oz lures, with a telescoping butt if I'm close. The 905SB would be a spin bass, 8-17 lb line, 14 to 5/8 oz lure, medium power, faster actioned. The other I don't have a clue other than it appears to be a heavier powered 8ft 6 in blank. These sound like factory build numbers maybe.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 28, 2007 08:03AM

No way to get a line rating for them - those are very subjective ratings based on the manufacturer's thoughts either on deadlifting ability or which lines seem suitable for the blank's intended use.

The Common Cents System will put objective and relative power and action numbers on them.

Or you can just shake them a bit, hang some different lures from the tips and see what you think.

Posted by: Andy Dear (66.174.79.---)
Date: June 28, 2007 09:49AM

BAT or BAST was the internal factory prefix for the Titanium Series, not the IM10 series.

BAT826T is a 6'10" Telescoping Pitching Stick Titanium Series 12-20lb Line 3/8-3/4oz Lures
BAT905SB is a 7'6" Medium Power Spin Blank Titanium Series 8-17lb Line 1/4-5/8oz Lures

The other model is most likely a private label blank made from the Elite Series, for which I have no specs on.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: shawn storey (24.167.103.---)
Date: June 28, 2007 12:54PM

thanks for the help guys

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 28, 2007 06:35PM

this is a good reason to never throw away a blank catalog. they can come in handy looking up some of these blanks. that is what i did with some of andy's garbage can blanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster