I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Check List
Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 27, 2007 10:45AM

I'm tring to develop a "check list" to ask customers that will give me the information needed to build a customer's rod and thought; "I wonder if a list has ever been published in any of the back issues of "Rod Maker"?"

More thinking led me to the possition -- this is most unlikely because each builder most likely uses information that is unique only to them and they would most likely be unwilling to share as it is something they learned over the years.

Nonetheless, I thought I would ask the question -- Anybody know if there is a checklist that can be used for gathering information from a customer that will serve as a guide for this purpose?

thanks
Darby MP Nelson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Check List
Posted by: Bob Firebaugh (---.csp-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: June 27, 2007 11:59AM

Darby,
There is an "order list" or a sorta "check list" on the photo page if you search it. Tom Kirkman posted it I believe. /s/Bob

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 27, 2007 04:16PM

What I had in RodMaker was more of a "build sheet." No checklist yet, but I think that's an excellent idea for something that would certainly be useful.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (68.124.128.---)
Date: June 27, 2007 07:13PM

Darby...I feel that almost everybody that contributes to this forum is here to help their fellow rod crafters in one way or the other...your "check list"
is an example of finding out information on this forum. You seem to have started the ball rolling and now we can sit back and read about all the ideas that will be coming in. [at least you got the attention of Tom and he is like a bulldog ,when he latches onto something he doesn't let go] When I first started rod building better than 30 years ago the only people I had to go to were Dale Clemens and Gene Bullard who were the "Gurus" of rod building back then and they were of great help. Then along came "Rod Crafters Journal" by Dale Clemens which to the novice was "heaven sent", BUT if you asked a fellow rod builder back then -they wanted to keep all their knowledge to themselves- That is why after the invent of these machines we sit at now and are able to talk to each other the "rod Crafting" has taken off and info abounds from all that contributes to this forum...I Love It...only wish I was back in my 20's again. I thank you for this thread Darby and anyone else out there that can come up with these type questions, fire away as we can always learn more in the love of Rod Crafting.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Raymond Adams (76.105.2.---)
Date: June 27, 2007 10:55PM

Below are some things that should be known when ever possible.

1) species targeted?
2) desired presentation method to be used?
3) reel type & size to be used?
4) type of line to be used?

Then you can get into the customer's physical attributes. ( Especially when considering ergonomics)

1) measurements : a) from palm to elbow? to best determine distance from seat to butt.
b) wrist to tip of middle finger ? to determine optimum grip/seat diameter
c) preferred balance point? (if any)

After those questions are answered then the discussion regarding ascetics and grips/seat materials
can begin.

1) Preferred style & materials of grip(s) & reel seat? The builder can offer their knowledge and in-site as
to the most optimum types of materials and configurations suited for the customer's need(s)

2) What colors (if any) are requested or preferred?

3) a)Cross-wraps, b) Weaves, c) Inlays, d) decals, e) theme??

Also,
Is the rod a gift? How much $$$ are they looking to invest? ( didn't say SPEND!)
A frank discussion regarding ANY expressed or implied WARRANTY (in any) should take place and presented
IN WRITING!

The greater the understanding between the client and the builder and the greater the ability of the builder to
see to the client's requirements the greater the satisfaction for all parties concerned.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2007 11:07PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (207.200.116.---)
Date: June 27, 2007 10:55PM

Thanks for the responce. The article in the last RM got me thinking that there are a lot of questions that should have and answer to. Grip size is just one. Type of fishing to be done would be another etc.

Thanks again for the responce.

darby

Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (207.200.116.---)
Date: June 27, 2007 10:58PM

Thanks for the responce. The article in the last RM got me thinking that there are a lot of questions that should have and answer to. Grip size is just one. Type of fishing to be done would be another etc.

Thanks again for the responce.

darby

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster