I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thank You St. Croix
Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: June 26, 2007 11:03AM

I have a friend that is in the BFL and He's a little rough on equipment. I built him a casting rod on the old Green Elite blank a year ago. This spring he broke it after lifting a fish over the side of the boat. I sent the broken rod back to St Croix on Thursday and received a replacement blank (the new brown Elite) this morning. That's customer service, I can't say enough good about the way St. Croix has treated me and will continue to support them. Thanks Again Mark Blabaum - Mineral Point, WI

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thank You St. Croix
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 26, 2007 12:19PM

Lifting a fish into the boat with a rod is bad fish fighting/landing practice. St. Croix may have inadvertently rewarded bad behavior. Expect this guy to break your replacement rod at some point.

But yes, that is good customer service. I only bring up the former not to rain on your parade, but to point out how so many of these guys break their rods.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: June 26, 2007 01:24PM

Tom - No you didn't rain on my parade and you are correct that they probably should not have replaced the blank. They however did replace the blank and sent along a form letter of "Rod Usage and Safety Tips". My friend will be getting a copy of the letter and I'm keeping several to hand out to future customers. Thanks for pointing out the obvious and I will be talking to him about rod care in the future. I don't enjoy putting 10 hours or better into a rod only to have to do it all over again. I still have to commend St Croix for going above and beyond for customer service. This may be a little off the subject but a little company started in 1979 by the name of Lands End. The company started in a small building in Dodgeville, Wi that could not have been over 5,000 sq feet. Gary Commer the founder of the company had a simple plan: Give the customer a great product at a fair price and take care of the customer when he has problems. Garys thoughts were take care of the customer because it will cost you much more to recruit another customer than to keep the original customer. If any of you know the story Garys company (Lands End) went public a few years later and he still had that simple plan. Many years later Garys sold his holdings in the company to Sears for $900 million. Yes that's $900,000,000.00 not to bad a return for the original money invested. I know this is a long read but it shows what customer service can do for you and I. Thanks Mark

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 26, 2007 02:13PM

No doubt St. Croix has great customer service. I do wish that the major manufacturers didn't replace so many rods for free when they were broke due to "operator defect" not manufacturer defect. People would be a lot easier to work with if they weren't so conditioned to break it, send it in, get a new one.

I do believe in customer service 100%, and have built my share of freebie's too.

Just my $.02 - (or maybe venting a little)

Marc

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: June 27, 2007 09:01AM

I assume you are getting paid again for building the new rod?? If not , why not ? If so, good for you.. too many customers think because a company replaces a blank, the builder is to build it again for free... not so!

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 27, 2007 10:46AM

I haven't had a customer break a rod yet ( knock on wood). Where I have problems is the carrier of the shipment of blanks. Got a shipment in from Mud Hole with the blank cleanly broken into 3 pieces, container had been crushed in two places. Mud Hole's customer service is extremely high caliber, can't thank them enough.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (216.180.209.---)
Date: June 28, 2007 11:12AM

Fred - I don't plan on charging the customer for the rebuild of the rod. I did however learn an important lesson; Build enough profit into the price of the rod to do warranty repairs. This was not in the equation the first time around but it will be on the subsequent ones

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 28, 2007 03:01PM

Excellent advice. In fact, this is what the major commercial rod manufacturers do - add a little extra to each rod so replacements don't really cost them anything. It's a bit harder for custom rod builders working with a low quantities because an extra 25 cents per rod isn't going to allow them to make many free replacements. But an extra $10 to $20 per rod might allow them to get the job done.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 28, 2007 04:08PM

I agree with Mark and Tom. I don't charge for a rebuild (unless he runs over it with his truck or something!) The way I look at it is they paid me for a rod and if it breaks due to a defect, workmanship, etc. It's not their fault (usually) I would rather do the rebuild and keep my customer (who are usually repeat or friends) than lose future sales and positive word of mouth. So far I've never had to rebuild a rod (a few repairs)but would not hesitate to do so. I have enough cushion in my price.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster