I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

'Low Cost' 6' 6" to 7' - 1 wt fly blank?
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 26, 2007 12:58AM

Sorry to ask another question so quickly following up my threadless wrap query. Don't mean to monopolize this forum but hope this Q is OK.

Finally got to try out the 2 wt Matrix/Forecast (both about the same) 6' 6" fly blank today - converted to a spin rod for crappie fishing. With recoils, these are remarkably crisp. Very nice and would work very ably as 2 lb test trout rod too.

However, given how tiny the fish are that my boys are hooking up, we'd like to try an even lower power.

Does anyone make affordable 1 wt fly blanks which are at least 6' 6" long? The problem is 'affordable' as there are some high end 1 wt blanks out there. There's now even a 0 wt blank...?

Thanks,
Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2007 02:02AM by Mo Yang.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 6' 6" to 7' - 1 wt fly blank?
Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.129.---)
Date: June 26, 2007 01:14AM

Check Dan Craft. Other than that, I'd say fish for bigger fish, LOL!

Re: 'Low Cost' 6' 6" to 7' - 1 wt fly blank?
Date: June 26, 2007 02:04AM

I sure agree with the bigger fish part. However, fact is, at our lake, when things gets slow, small crappie (and they NEVER get big here for some reason) are abundant and happily occupy our two boys and their church friends. So, I'm building for that purpose - so that the rod will bend nicely.

I could always go Kencor fiberglass but they are really not low cost either...:)

Mo

Re: 6' 6" to 7' - 1 wt fly blank?
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 26, 2007 02:13AM

You might try a RainShadow/Forecast blank give Kerry Baston a call.
Good wraps Bob PS are fishing for 6 inch trout? :))LOL

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: June 26, 2007 02:24AM

Dan Craft makes an several blanks(0wt,1wt,and 2wt) that would fall within your size range for your needs.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.129.---)
Date: June 26, 2007 03:34AM

The Rainshadows and Forecasts only go down to a 2 wt. I know you're only after fun with little fish for the kids, but if the tiddlers you're catching can't put a bend into a 2wt then a move to productive water is on the cards. Also, fly blanks built as spin voids warranty, and delicate stuff like that in kids' hands, well...Really want the 0 and 1 wt options? Dan Craft, 'nuff said.

Posted by: Wayne Kohan (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: June 26, 2007 09:37AM

Lamiglas makes inexpensive fiberglass blanks. I have a 6'6" 3 weight that bends when I look at it funny, even a minnow will gile you a fight on that rod...... It's my favorite small stream rod.

Wayne

Date: June 26, 2007 10:43AM

Thanks to all. Yes, even the small crappie does put a bend on the rod but it's just I'd like MORE bend......:) Helps the kid think they have a giant one.

Anyways, thanks to all.

Mo

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 26, 2007 10:52AM

Moe,

Buy one about 6" longer that what you want and take 6" off the butt, that should slow down the action and move the flex point closer to the butt.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Sean Herrera-Thomas (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: June 26, 2007 10:53AM

Mo,

If you are mainly looking for more bend, you might think about a longer rod. A moderate action 9' ft 3 weight will bend like crazy with a small fish.

Sean

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 26, 2007 11:24AM

Wayne's suggestion of the glass blank would be a nice blank that bends all the way into the butt and would make a great kids rod. Built a travel rod for my dad on the 6 piece glass blank that bends double on most fish that your talking about and the tip throws just about anything you'd want on 2 pound line.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 26, 2007 03:04PM

Batson's 5' UL fiberglass blank is tons of fun, bends all the way to the cork without breaking 2# line, yet is REALLY TUFF - good for kids - just a little shorter - but you could extend the butt. I also noticed Schneider's now has 1,2, and 3 wt. fly blanks that are reasonable, but longer than what you mentioned. Cut the butt end off of a 1 wt. to shorten it and that should give you all the bend you need!!

Have fun -
Marc

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink)
Date: June 26, 2007 04:09PM

You might want to try the Batson Forecast SPG720 or 780.
They are very light action 6' and 61/2' in fibreglass.
We have guys making them into little stream Trout fly rods.
They are really fun on smaller fish.
Here is a link;
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: June 27, 2007 01:55AM

Has anyone built a rod on any of the Schneider's 10ft 2pc 1-4wt blanks?

I can see a 10ft 4wt being a good nymphing rod or for float tubing on lakes with small to med size fish,but really can't imagine what a 10ft 1wt would be like.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 27, 2007 02:37PM

Or do like Steve Kartalia and drop the butt section on a 9' fly rod. What about a 9' 3wt w/ the butt dropped to make a 6' 9" less-than-3wt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster