I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson RX6 vs RX7 blanks toughness
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2007 06:51PM

Just wondering if anyone has noticed the RX6 blanks being more durable than the RX7. They are both excellent. I am going to build some lite 2pc spinning rods for canoe float trips and durability can be important.

I have read some of the RodMaker articles on graphite blanks, but just wondering if anyone has seen a real difference.

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson RX6 vs RX7 blanks toughness
Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 07:42PM

Marc...

I have used and abused both VERY HARD and my guide buddys have done the same. We have not noticed any difference what-so-ever. Rock-soild durability.

Paul

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 08:29PM

Marc,
The RX7 blanks are built with higher modulus of elasticity carbon fiber than the RX6. As the modulus of elasticity of a material goes up the strain energy goes down in direct proportion to the increase in the modulus of elasticity and naturally the opposite, as the modulus of elasticity goes down the strain energy goes up. Strain energy is the area under the stress/strain curve or how much energy will the blank absorb before it reaches its tensile strength limit and fractures but you can think of strain energy as toughness. Modulus of elasticity is arguably the most important property of the material in a rod. The higher the modulus of elasticity of the material the less of it that is required to get a given stiffness or power so with the higher modulus the weight goes down resulting in better sensitivity and better casting characteristics but poorer toughness.
In other words, you are right, RX7 blanks will be lighter than comparable RX6 blanks and have a number of positive characteristics that go along with the lighter weight but the RX7 will be less durable than the RX6. There are several design trade offs that can be made that tend to reduce the effect of lower strain energy somewhat but basically it is just the physics of the material and there is a limit to what the blank designer, in this case the folks at Batson Enterprises, can do.

Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 09:46PM

very well said Emory I hope that people take note of this as it is really well said. Billy

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2007 09:48PM

Thanks both Paul and Emory. I think I'll go with the RX6 for this one.

Marc

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: June 26, 2007 01:24PM

Your welcome marc..

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster