I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Speckled trout rod blank
Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: June 25, 2007 11:21AM

I have a potential customer looking for a 7' fast action 10-12lb line spinning blank to fish for speckled trout. Any and all suggestions on a blank would be appreciated. Thanks Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Speckled trout rod blank
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2007 11:53AM

Do you have a price range? Do you need a "blank slate" to do wraps of a specific color? Are they going to primarily fish from land, a kayak or a traditional flats boat? Are they going to be mostly using bait (shrimp) or mostly using lures?

All these things DO matter ... fill in the blanks and I will point you the right direction.

Posted by: Alan Royce (---.tampfl.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 11:58AM

Scott,

I might try the rainshadow RX7 ISB 841 or 842 or the Forecast RX 6 SB 841 or 842 I have the ISB 842 and use it on snook and reds along with trout. I know fishsticks4U has them. Great blanks for the price.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 12:03PM

If the trout are not wimps move a little further up the profile to a 2 or 3 power. If there are a lot of big reds around in the same place a 4 may be a better choice.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: June 25, 2007 01:09PM

This is for trout fishing here in NC. I'm sure it will be casting jigs and live baiting with Shrimp. Thanks for the responces so far. Scott

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 01:23PM

You may be better served with a blank called "popping rod". These things are not normally fast action but are "moderate" for a specific reason. The big "yellow mouths" have tender mouths and too much of a "hookset" may rip through. The moderate action blank will also allow slower tip velocity on long cast and the shrimp will tend to stay on the hook better. I build on Rainshadow and Lamiglas popping blanks for trout and am pleased with both.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2007 01:53PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2007 01:55PM

Scott -

You didn't answer all the questions, so I am limited as to my ability to make a complete recommendation ... however, a popping rod, as suggested by Bill, definitely seems to be the most appropriate answer. In addition, his recommendation of a "4" power blank is right on the mark. You don't want to be soaking a shrimp on anything lighter. Batson offers the IP844, Lamiglas offers both the LP844 and IMP844 and G Loomis offers the P844 in GL3, IMX and GLX. Any of them would be a good choice ... finish and price should help you narrow the selections further.

Posted by: Chase Foster (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2007 06:11PM

I agree with bill, a popping blank will be the way to go. He gave you some suggestions, i would also take a look at the American Tackle Matrix AMP842 or the AMP844, offered in both black and green. I prefer the 2 power, but it all depends on preference.
Also, we will be adding an AMP843 to the line by the end of summer, so look for it in our soon to be released blank catalog for 07'-08'. Hope this helps, good luck with the build,

Chase Foster
American Tackle
www.americantackle.us

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2007 09:04AM by Chase Foster.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.client.stsn.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 07:20PM

G. Loomis 7’ GLX P8400 is an excellent blank that I believe your customer would really like for this type of fishing. Mudhole among others carry this blank.

Posted by: shawn storey (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: June 25, 2007 07:30PM

i built a speck rod out of a med light 7' cts pro series for myself and that has to be the most impressive and lightest rod i've ever fished in that size of blank. can't think of the model number off hand but i bought it from andy and he said it would handle 1/4 to 1/2 ounce which it has done just fine. anyways some of my more serious fishing buddies have tried it out and loved it enough to want there own and they usually fish kistlers and laguna's which are very popular here in south texas. so basically what i'm saying is check out the cts blanks they're a bit expensive but damn they're nice. call robert at fishsticks and he should be able to set you up

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2007 01:11PM

scott, if they are casting jigs and live bait then i would go with a popping rod. make sure they are not jigging for greys. i would then go to one of the bass style blanks. if you want light then i would go with 841 or 842. if they want to use it for reds then the 843 or 844 may work better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster