I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

saving some weight
Posted by: jason henderson (12.111.55.---)
Date: June 24, 2007 09:41AM

I am looking for some weights on diffferent guides for a long float rod. I am looking at the nanolite single foot fly guides for the top section. I want to transition from there to a regular frame spinning guide then to a couple 3 or 4 match style giudes nearest the reel. I havent been able to find any nanolite guides without the A Frame style foot, with that extra piece I can't believe there would be a savings in weight by paying for the nanolite. I want a smooth transition from style to style so I figured I might have to use the same manufacturer and the same ring component. Short of buying a lot of guides and sending the unused back I thought I may get some feedback on here.

First, what are the lightest style rings and frames, aside form the recoils,snakes,etc, just a normal insert style guide? I realize we are talking about grains here but I want to keep it light as possible, so where do they rank against each other? Which ones are lighter, nanolite, alum. oxide, SiC, hardloy, titanium oxide. And are any prone to issues?

Second when I transition to a different style, if I use the same ring size will it look like a smooth transition or is there a noticable difference in the ring part of the frame that will stand out when looking out over the blank? Meaning will the switch from match to spinning look gaudy?

Third with different manufacturers can I get Tich frames and rings that will look fairly close to the nanolite rings fome fuji, or will I end up with a hodge-podge when I getr my order in?

I realize I have asked for a lot here but any help and practical experience would be useful before I start ordering components

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: saving some weight
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: June 24, 2007 10:53AM

Jason is this a centerpin rod? The Fuji Ti guides are a much darker color than the almost white AmTack Titan Nanolites. Wouldn't think you need to transition from Match, to spin, to fly. Just match to fly. I also wouldn't think it would take more than 3 guides to get to the fly guides. Colorwise a chrome guide would be close to the AmTack Titan flys, I would think about all Titans or all Fuji Ti for the lightest weight, Fujis are the lightest.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: June 24, 2007 08:16PM

Jason....

Since float rods make up 95% of my rod sales, I use the guides from Jannsnetcraft on the left. The guides are called "FLEXLITE with TICH finish". I know you are wanting to use the lightest ring style guides which I beleive are the Titans as it has been mentioned. However, these guides from Jann's are really unreal.

First, and most importantly, they are unbeleiveably light weight. I have done a comparison by building two identical float rods.(14 foot, IM8 4-10# RAVEN's) One rod had the traditional high-frame float rod guide, and the other had the Flexlite guides on it. The difference is like night and day. The rod with the flexlite guides felt like a rod that had no guides and wraps at all on it. The other rods' action was dampend to be blunt.
I'm sure you know this, but when building float rods, the smallest and most minute of weight you add to the rod with guides, wraps, and TM, is felt exponentially the longer the rod. Short rods like 10 footers will not really see a differnece in some cases, but when reaching out to 13-15 feet, adding weight makes ALL the difference.

Second, the finish on these guides is extremely hard and have not grooved so far. (Many fishing hours into them already.)

Third, they will ice-up about 75% less than traditional guides. I have seen this for myself as well as the cutomers I have built rods for. They all want them, because one can get about 25 more drifts in compared to ringed guides.

Last but not least...they are CHEAP!!! About 2/3rd's less than Recoils.

Now for the magic answer for the transition question of yours>>>I start with a Sz 20 hi-frame, then a 12 hi-frame, then a sz 10 FLEXLITE then 8's all the way up the rod. (Don't use a sz 16 hi-frame)
The legends around here taught me to eliminate the "Rollercoaster" ride the line would take by minimizing the guide sizes..and I'm here to tell ya, it works! It sort of is like the Fuji concept system...getting the line to the blank the fastest, using the smallest guide possible, and the FLEXLITE guides work great for our float rod applications.

I wish I could have answerd more of the questions you have, but I thought I would chime-in since my heart is float rods and float fishing.

I also may have some guide spacing for your rod depending on the blank you might have. I hoped I helped ya Jason....

Paul
ALASKA FISH STIX

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 01:45AM

Depends on whether you want a hard ring or can use bare metal like Recoils.

Basically, recoils are the lightest guides FOR THE SIZE.

But if you are willing to go smaller sizes than 6, the Fuji size 3.5 SICs (steel frame only - titaniums are not available in the USA although you can get it if you are willing to order 100 pieces at a time) weigh less than ANY recoils out there. They are 0.035 grams each. That's LIGHT!

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster