I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Ergonomics issue
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: June 22, 2007 11:39PM

First I want to congratulate Tom on the well written and researched article in RM.
I have a situation that takes ergonomics to another level.
I visited my younger brother today. Haven't seen him in a couple months. He is 6 years younger than me and looks 6 years older than me.To my dismay he has lost 100% usage of his right wrist, fingers work but wrist wont bend. He is wearing a portable cast. Dr's say they have to fuse his left wrist at some point in time due to cartilage loss.
He is a Viet Nam Vet. Nine years Special Forces Ranger. Was shot 3 times in Nam. Broke his right wrist in Europe while attending the British Commando School , repelling off a cliff I think. A little background on him. Now here is the fishing rod problem. He wants me to build him 2 rods. One is to be an Ultra lite and the other to be a Bass rod. Somehow I have to build up the top of the rear grip in a wedge shape, high part at the butt. The highest point needs to be about 2 inches high and tapered to the reel seat. His intentions are to Velcro strap the rod butt to his forearm in 2 places . My thoughts were to use EVA blocks and build and shape the rear grip to fit the bottom of his forearm. He is determined not to quit fishing, so I am going to do everything I can possibly do to honor that. Pistol grip is out of the picture for sure. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to build a rear grip to suit his condition ? Is there any way of off setting the blank in the butt area ?
Sorry for the long post, but he is a very special Veteran.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ergonomics issue
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 23, 2007 01:37AM

Jay,
Would starting with a shape similar to the forward section of the Maniform fly grip be in the ballpark?

Date: June 23, 2007 11:34AM

Spencer, What is a Maniform fly grip ? Where can I see a photo of one? Not familiar.

Jay

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 23, 2007 11:58AM

I have built a couple fly rods using the Maniform grips, they are easy on the the hand and wrist. I got them from Anglers Workshop, a sponsor on the left.
Here is the link [www.anglersworkshop.com].

Bob Crook
La Pine, OR

Date: June 23, 2007 01:09PM

Spencer and Bob, I believe I can work with that. I can picture turning it upside down and maybe building to the top a little on the butt end and make this work. This is more like a prosthesis for a handicap than an ergonomics issue. Of course I wouldn't say that to him, he would probably drop kick me, LOL.
Any more ideas out there ?

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 23, 2007 02:24PM

Jay, Let me know how this works out for you. I have a friend that wants me to make him a 8 1/2 ft jigging pole for crappie. He has arthritis in his wrist and complains about it alot. That maniform grip looks like a good possiblity.
Thanks Terry

Date: June 23, 2007 03:12PM

Terry, Once I get this contraption made. I will post a photo of it. Someone else may need information of this sort.
I am a little concerned about using cork. Do you think EVA blocks glued up and formed to the shape I need would be less apt to break and be more comfortable ?

Posted by: RON NIX (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: June 23, 2007 07:23PM

Jay:

Please do post your results and solution. There are many Vets out there, as well as other people, who could use this type of grip. I wish I had something to contribute, but I don't have anything yet. But I am really interested in what you are doing for your Brother.

RON.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2007 12:33PM by RON NIX.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: June 23, 2007 09:16PM

Jay,
I think if this works out for you that I'm going to stick with the cork handle. I've been thinking alot about that maniform grip after I saw the picture of it. Thanks Bob for pointing those out. I know I will have to modify it but I have some ideas spinning around in my head which is scarey. In fact I think I'm going to go ahead and order one just to see it up close and take it to this friend of mine and see what he thinks. In the latest issue of RodMaker there is a very good article titled Fishing Rod Ergonomics . Tom talks about the material used in handles and cork ranks at the top of the list for handles
so I 'm going to stick with cork.
Terry

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 23, 2007 10:50PM

Terry,
There are some offset baitcasting grips still out there made now by Super Sticker that may also help, the rear hole is in the center of the grip as normal but the forend is offset 15 degrees. The reelseat has a matching opposite offset. Messing with the offset may get some design thoughts going also. I may have an old grip from the original Wiebe design around somewhere and if I do I could send one for you to mess with. Mudhole and others have pics of the grip. It's the SS 363 type grip if I remember right.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: June 23, 2007 11:33PM

Thanks Spencer, But I"m looking for a spinning handel. I did go to Mudhole website and couldn.t find anything. Thanks for the information and offering to send me the reel seat.
Terry

Date: June 24, 2007 12:47AM

Terry, The more I think about it , the more I think the Maniform grip can work , with a little modification. Both my seats need to be trigger seats. He can't handle an open faced spinning reel, but he can handle a spin cast type. And he wont have to grip as hard with a trigger seat. I am going to order one of the Maniform handles also.
Thanks Spencer and Bob for the info. I am not much into fly rod building material other than standard parts. Had no idea what a Maniform grip was.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 24, 2007 08:59AM

If the wrist is the issue, then handle shape alone won't solve the problem. The angle that the wrist must maintain in order to use the rod will be the important part. The maniform handle, due to its shape, does change the angle that the wrist maintains while grasping the rod. You'd have to try it to find if it does help your friend but anything that puts the wrist back into more of a neutral position should be helpful.

Spinning rods can be built with offset handles but this involves either mounting the seat offset to the blank or constructing a separate handle and seat unit and then mounting the rod blank into it. Another place where custom rod builders can offer something that commercial rod makers can't.

In a near future article, we're going to be outlining a special offset spinning rod handle/seat combination.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 24, 2007 11:17AM

No idea if this is fitting the need or not, but some folks with physical issues point to the StrikeFighter at [www.sheltonproducts.com]

Date: June 24, 2007 11:37AM

Thanks Tom. I was watching him hold his casting rod and make some casting motions. I then checked the amount of motion he had in his wrist. With palm down, he has comfortable side to side motion in the wrist , but very little up and down motion. It appears to me , If I can build up the very butt end of the grip about 2" or so and strap it to his forearm he can comfortably cast with no pain. This build up will put his wrist in a neutral position, or very close. He says it hurts only when he casts. His gripping power is also very limited so strapping to his forearm and using a trigger seat will help in the gripping problem.
He wanted me to rebuild his favorite casting rod. I may totally strip it down to the blank and start over. I can offset a new and larger seat by drilling the bushing on an angle. A larger seat would help in the comfort area as you outlined in your article. As you said , I must try to keep the wrist in a neutral position at all times if possible. You guys have got my wheels turning now.
Thanks for all the help

Date: June 24, 2007 11:38AM

That's more of a body rod holder - certainly great for use as intended, but it's not really going to help with anything other than fighting a fish and being able to use your body weight to do so. It could be a boon for those with one arm or hand, of course, but it won't do much for you in terms of helping you handle the rod for casting or working a lure.

Date: June 24, 2007 11:41AM

Jay,

I think you're on the right track. A proper sized diameter grip will certainly help with his grip power issues. So will a neutral wrist position. Now you might even consider a non-cylindrical type grip, although that really doesn't come into play much unless there are torque and twist issues to deal with.

Date: June 24, 2007 12:58PM

The idea of strapping it to his forearm was concern with him loosing his grip on the rod when casting. Will have to check to see just how much grip he has while casting and fighting a fish. Strapping may not be a concern.

Dave, the StrikeFighter is definately a good idea when he is still fishing, which he will do a lot of. His casting would be the only issue here.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2007 01:18PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 25, 2007 09:54AM

You have recived some great ideas. One question, have you talked with his doctor or his rehab person. there maybe some medical questions that you are not awere of . An may need to be addressed. They also may have some suggestion.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: June 25, 2007 10:29PM

Hi Bob. No I haven't talked to any of his medical personnel.
He was going to a rehab Dr. today in nearby Bowling Green ,KY.
I think the Dr's at the Veterans Hospital in Nashville have assigned him to this Dr in Bowling Green.
Would be good idea for me to check with his rehab Dr. or at least have him confer with the Dr about what we are doing.
Rehab might offer some suggestions.
Good Idea, I'll look into it.

jbh

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster