I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Wrapping Lathe
Posted by: Jim Buraczewski (---.dsl.milwwi.ameritech.net)
Date: June 22, 2007 09:35AM

I recently purchased a new wrapping lathe to replace the one I had built a number of years ago. I was suprised to find the new Lathe which comes with the standard "sewing machine" type motor does not have a reverse. I know just enough about AC motors to be dangerous and I suspect there is a way of wiring a reverse switch into the motor (it is not as simple as reversing polarity). Has anybody ever tried it?

Thanks

Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Wrapping Lathe
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: June 22, 2007 09:43AM

I wanted to do the same on my Renzetti a while back and they told me it could not be done. I prefered wrapping with the butt to my left, now I wrap with the butt to the right.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: June 22, 2007 11:37AM

That is a shame.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2007 12:35PM

Motors I've reversed actually had wiring diagrams showing how. Other thoughts.....
A quick look around @#$%& and I see sewing machine motors both clockwise and counter clockwise.
Do you have enough room to reverse the motor end over end in its mount?

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: June 22, 2007 01:15PM

Fred Halfheimers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is a shame.

What's a shame??

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 22, 2007 01:26PM

Depending on the wrapper you got and how the drive is set up you can put a twist in the drive belt if it's like a big "O" ring and that will reverse the chuck rotation. It will wear the belt though if you don't have the right set up. The Custom Power Wrapper has a reversing kit that may work for you.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2007 01:59PM

Great thought Jim. Misalign the pulleys a bit and the belt/ring shouldn't eat into itself.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 22, 2007 04:12PM

The polarity is usually changed at the field via a reversing switch. Some of these motors (Universal/Brush type motors) used to get reversed by mounting the brushes to a mechanical "switch" that turned them 180 to the field. That set up used a common two wire on/off switch. The more modern method is switching the polarity electronically to the field. The "old school" way is still used on some 110V Drills & Impact wrenches, where you rotate the butt cap 180 degrees to switch motor direction.

If you're just looking to run the wrapper a different direction to wrap from the other side, Jim's "figure eight" suggestion with a belt would be the easiest way out. You may have to step up the o-ring one size to do it. If you're looking to switch back and forth between forward and reverse at the flick of a switch, I'd take it to the local electric motor shop (like a rewinder) and have them wire a reversing switch in.

I hope some of the wrapping machine companies read this. I often wish I could reverse my machine. Like when I'm doing a long underwrap while watching a ball game out of the corner of my eye and realizing I just "back-wrapped" 20-30 turns. lol

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: June 22, 2007 07:47PM

This is one of the many reasons I always push the Flexcoat DL747 . It free wheels so easy you dont need a switch to back it up and you dont have to worry about twisting belts . Just my two cents worth

Robert

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 22, 2007 10:31PM

Jim, If you would do a search on Renzetti Motors or do a search on my name Terry Morrell ( all dates ) I posted a question on July 30 2004 almost the same. Can't remember the name of the guy that answered it but the post was answered.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster