I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cracked Blank
Posted by: James Goughnour (---.payson.az.npgco.com)
Date: June 20, 2007 03:55PM

I'm repairing a cork handle for a fellow that said the car door slammed on the handle. A chuck of cork is broken out. As I removed the cork near the butt, I saw a two 3" cracks in the blank running along the axis of the blank. When I squeeze the butt end of the blank flexes due to the cracks. This is a 7'11" baitcasting flippin rod with a 10 1/2" handle. My question is, if I put on a new cork handle will the rod be okay or will the crack continue? Can I reenforce this area by bonding a 6" insert into the butt?

Thanks,
Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cracked Blank
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: June 20, 2007 03:57PM

I'd reinforce, especially if he ever leaves it in a rod holder (I assume this is the rear grip, correct?)

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: June 20, 2007 04:08PM

I would run a piece of solid fiberglass rod up as far as the full length of the grip assembly, epoxy it in, bind it and let it dry, then maybe even a overwrap for safe keeping,, it won't be seen as you will cover it up with the cork and it should be ok.

Date: June 20, 2007 04:12PM

Fred, A SOLID rod?? Don't you think that would add unnecessary weight to a portion of the rod that sees little stress (Again, unless it is being fished out of a holder)

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: June 20, 2007 05:09PM

I agree with Fred yse a solid peice of galss. You can at time get away with using graphite. As for extra weight I do not believe you well notice it. Ralph O has made many posts on blank repairs using solid glass
Good Wraps Bob

Date: June 20, 2007 05:19PM

Bob, just to make sure we are on the same page here I am interpreting Fred's post to mean that that he reccommends using a SOLID fiberglass rod for the length of the entire grip, not a blank made from fiberglass. I agree a small piece of fiberglass blank material should be used, but a solid piece along the entire length would have to add tremendous weight to the rod for a fracture in a spot that sees little stress (Again I am assuming that this is the rear grip and not being fished out of a holder)

Date: June 20, 2007 05:31PM

Hi Scott. I think you and I are on the same weave length. When I repair a cracked butt . I extend my glass 1 inch be on each side of the crackI use Rod Bond.Once the plug is in place I bend it tight with wrapping thread. After it dries I leave the thread and just cover it up with cork. Jame did not mention. How he was going to replace the the cork he removed. That is a whole differnt process. Which is eas to do.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: June 20, 2007 05:57PM

I reread the original post and since this is a flipping rod I can safely assume it will not be fished out of a holder and therefore little stress will be exurted on this section of the blank. That is why I mentioned going with a thin walled section of fiberglass blank to keep the weight down. This will provide more than adequate proptection while maintaing the lowest possible weight increase. If the break occured further up the blank then I agree more protection may be needed but in this case a section of Fiberglass rod blank would more than suffice.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2007 05:57PM

The only problem with using a solid or any internal piece is that most flipping sticks have collapsing handles so they are easier to transport or store in rod locker. Placing a piece inside will prevent it from doing so.

I would suggest either putting a piece over the out side or removing the guides (at least the larger ones may slip over the smaller) and replace the handle piece with another handle piece. Or cut the back end off another maybe broken rod that will match up with the telescoping portion of the blank. You want about 6" of over lap when fully extended.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 20, 2007 06:06PM

I wouldn't use a solid piece of anything - you'll create a stress point just ahead of where it stops. Sleeve the inside with a tubular piece of scrap rod blank.

If you run into the situation that Steve mentions above, then remove the old cork and oversleeve the outside and then replace the cork over the top of that. I am assuming the cracks do not continue up past the length of the rear grip.

Posted by: James Goughnour (---.payson.az.npgco.com)
Date: June 20, 2007 07:04PM

Thanks guys - The cork rear grip is 10 1/2" and I did peel the cork off the blank. That is when I discovered the cracks. I can't slide something over the blank from the top without removing guides, foregrip and the reel seat of this one piece casting rod (this rod is not telescopic). I can insert a walled fiberglass piece from the butt and reinstall the rear grip from the butt end. I'll have to add some drywall tape to ensure a snug fit of the handle. Thanks again for the inputs.

Jim

Date: June 20, 2007 07:45PM

James email me and I well send you direction on how to replace the cork you removed warren334@myway.com
Good Wraps Bob PS your email is hidden

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.79.9.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 21, 2007 12:20AM

I just did a rebuild/repair this evening with nearly the exact same conditions. Scott's advice is on the mark. This is not neccessarily a high stress area. If you build it up too much, it could impact the performance by throwing off the balance. A lightweight splice should be all that is needed.

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: June 21, 2007 08:43AM

An alternative which I have done for this type of situation is to use a piece of aluminum tubing on the outside of the blank. Shimmed up with drywall tape and epoxied into place. Handle materal over that to suit; with probably the easiest being cork tape.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster