I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

val fabian
Posted by: val fabian (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: June 20, 2007 03:23PM

This is probably a stupid question. I have tried numerous ways to align the guides, stringline, eyeballing it, starting at tip top and vice versa. Are there any tools available for this or is there some grand secret that I'm not getting? I come pretty close but I always have just a slight flaw to one side or the other.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: val fabian
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 20, 2007 03:31PM

Val,
First did you check for blank trueness before the build, your small deflection may actually be in the blank in which case you never get it out completely. I look down the blank, guides down, against a light/white wall and split the guides in half as I look at it. Also having the guides off a little won't effect performance in the slightest so don't get to upset about it.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2007 06:41PM

FWIW (newby here). On one rod I just finished I marked out the guides with the blank bent to spline it. I did the underwraps and then eyeballed the guides to their marks and made the overwraps. Then before I put any color preserver on them I adjusted them by sighting down through the guides. A little push here, a little tug there, and they look like a bullseye. On a second pole I made my marks just like the other one; however, when the blank is straight the marks weren't in a straight line along the axis. The blank twists just a little bit as it bends. I stuck with the marks figuring that if there was any difference then I'd rather have them perfect when under stress. The twist only amounted to a degree or two so it's not very noticeable but if you look down through the guides you can see it. The rod works fine and I've managed to stress it quite a bit on everything except fish:)

Date: June 20, 2007 07:13PM

thanks for the tips guyz, i guess im justa tweak about tryin to make it perfect. have made about 15 rods and none uv them are far off, just thot i had missed some secret handshake or somethin.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: June 20, 2007 07:14PM

Val,
You asked about a tool. Although I really think using it is overkill and time consuming, a laser pointer
set-up is available. Try a "search" using all authors and dates with the key word "laser".

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: June 20, 2007 09:01PM

Thanks Ray, I had figured that there would be some kind of laser light to chase the length of the blank, but from the responses I got it seems to not be a problem and i'm the only one that notices it. Thanks for the input.
Val

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.58.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 20, 2007 10:33PM

Val, I sometimes spend more time aligning my guides than I do building the rod that they are on. Hold the rod at arm's length, eyeball it with guides up then guides down, adjust, then repeat endlessly until you are satisfied.

A laser will work, but only if the blank is as straight as the laser. If you have a slight bend to one side, that's when you gotta bite the bullet and just do the best you can.

Posted by: RON NIX (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: June 20, 2007 10:55PM

Val,
I'm kind of new at this myself, but what seems to help me is a couple of hardwood dowels, 1/8" and 3/16" so far; the straightest I could find. I set them through the guides to help align them. Maybe it is overkill, but I find it easier to "eyeball" the guides into position.

RON.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2007 10:57PM

Nice trick Ron!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster