I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Diawa seat problem
Posted by: john creamer (63.237.90.---)
Date: June 20, 2007 02:25PM

I bought a Diawa sealine 12 foot conventional (new) on @#$%& and was going to give it to neighbor for birthday but when we tried to put it togather the top piece seated out 3/4 of an inch up. It would not completely mate to the bottom. I have emailled Diawa and the vender about the problem The piece seats very tight and I was wondering if I make a spacer and installed it so the top piece would seat against it. Would this work?

JohnC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Diawa seat problem
Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: June 20, 2007 02:45PM

John, I haven't seen a Diawa Sealine surf rod but it may have a spigot (sp?) type of ferrule. With the spigot ferrule you will more than likely not be able to mate the pieces completely as they are designed that way. How far is the male end of the rod going into the female end?

Date: June 20, 2007 02:49PM

about four inches,..I inserted a small piece of material in the top piece and it is not blocked.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (207.118.62.---)
Date: June 20, 2007 03:05PM

If it is a spot check to see if the spigot has sliped
Good Wraps Bob

Date: June 20, 2007 03:11PM

Where it fits does it fit tight? Whom did you purchass the rod from? I would take it back. or amke a call to Dawia
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2007 03:37PM

An allowance made for wear n tear? If a 2 piece rod's ferrule mated perfectly and bottomed out, ANY wear over time would mean a loose ferrule you can not tighten. If your male section bottoms out in the fit, then you'll be casting rod tips off all the time :-)
3/4" sounds like a bit, but if it is a slightly tapered rod (as it certainly should be for a 12' rod) then that may only be something like a .05mm wear allowance. If you have a 4" tight mating right now, that sure sounds plenty good.
Perhaps I am missing something? What exactly is your 3/4" based on? Some line on the male section? Bottom of female section? You don't specify the type of ferrule either. A picture might disperse any confusion

Date: June 20, 2007 03:43PM

1. I have no idea of what type ferrule it is.
2. When I put the top section on there is still about 3/4 inch remaining or exposed on the male section. That us the space between the top and bottom section.
3. The top section has the f emale part. and it gets tight with the 3/4 inch expossed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2007 03:44PM by john creamer.

Date: June 20, 2007 04:18PM

Define 'exposed'. What exactly is exposed, and why do you think it is exposed and not by design? Are you judging this by some wrap, color change, line of finish, or ????
The male section should never bottom out in the female section, or it will be guaranteed to be loose down the road.
It sounds like you are talking a regular production ferrule. Again... a picture would be very helpful.

Date: June 20, 2007 04:26PM

By exposed I mean that
the male section protruding from the bottom section does not slide all the way into the top or female section.
There is approximately 3/4 inch of the male part of the ferrule exposed before the two pieces join.

I will take a couple pictures when I get home tonight and send them.

Date: June 20, 2007 05:04PM

Have you contacted Dawia or the store where you purchassed the ros?
Good Wraps Bpb

Posted by: Jeff Shields (67.97.122.---)
Date: June 20, 2007 06:38PM

I have purchased a couple of the HDX series rods from Breakaway and they have the exact same setup and have been told it is completely normal. They are not meant to bottom out, if they did, once the female began to "stretch" you would no longer be able to have a tight fit. On the Breakaway, it is a 14' footer and the exposed section is about an inch long... been using it for months and had no issues whatsoever. I would say no worries....

Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: June 21, 2007 02:00PM

John, I just looked at the Sealine X rod and yes, that is a spigot type ferrule. As others have mentioned it is designed NOT to fit completely together initially so that as the male end wears down (and the female end expands a little) you will continue to get a good mating of the two sections. If you are able to get 4" of the male end into the female end then you are ready to go fishing. Have fun with the rod. Based on some of the reviews I just read it looks like you picked a good one.

Date: June 21, 2007 03:41PM

If it is a spigot DO NOT slid it back an forth to get a fit. Twist it on an off. Sliding back and forth you may lock it up and never get it apart.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: June 22, 2007 10:39AM

regardless of the type of ferrule, I twist them all to seat and unseat

Date: June 22, 2007 12:05PM

Dave is totally correct.
Good wrps Bob

Date: June 25, 2007 03:55PM

Took the rod out and had a slosh 20 on it and it worked great. I had to get used to the 20 but after that no problems. I like it.and now have to get up the nerve to try my 15 diawa with a slosh 30 on it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster