I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Material for first rod
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2007 02:25PM

Hello everyone. I am preparing to begin building my first rod and the info i have learned from this site, the 07 expo, the Rod Building Guide by Tom, and watching dvd's of Doc Ski, Ken Preston, Flexcoat, and Steve Petri will help from start to finish. A few suggestion and advice before i start would be greatly appreciated. This is my plan as follows. This rod will be a UL for my 7 year old grandson. I have decided on 5.6ft , cork rear grip, fuji economy or deluxe reel seat, no fore grip, fuji aluminum oxide spinning guides(6+1+tip). I thought i would try flexcoat finish & epoxy, U-40 for the reel seat, and flexcoat CP. I think i will go with Mud Hole OEM IS561L blank. Thread undecided. I have a manual wrapper and drying motor w/support i picked up at the show. I would appreciate any advice and your thoughts if i am starting in the right direction for my first rod, especilly on my guide selection. Keep in mind this is for a 7yr old. Thank you in advance. If anyone ask a question, i will be leaving for work in a few moments, so i will answer later tonight. 3 more years hopefully and i can stay home and build custom rods.

Roger
Greensboro, NC

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2007 03:03PM by Roger Rierson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Material for first rod
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: June 20, 2007 02:40PM

Sounds like you are ready, make sure when reaming your cork that the hole stays centered and remains circular, GOOD LUCK!!

Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 20, 2007 02:50PM

Thanks Scott. What thread do you like and high build or lite for finish?

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 20, 2007 02:51PM

One thing that may help. Check the Directory at the top of this board and see if there is a builder listed within a couple of hours drive. Make a phone call and describe that you sure would like to visit for a few hours and watch him work. Your learning curve will advance much quicker and you will most probably make a friend for life.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: June 20, 2007 03:08PM

I like the lite build in FC but have been using Threadmaster and am looking forward to the release of their lite build (which has been anticipated now for months, COME ON ANDY!!!). As far as thread I use Gudebrod because until recently because Mudhole didn't carry Madeira. HOWEVER, as a beginner you may not want to try Madeira to start. the thicker threads are sometimes easier to deal with for someone first starting out.

Posted by: Ryan Wampler (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2007 03:45PM

I started out with FC lite build which I did have good success with. Karen at Bingham suggested the TM on my last order (she was out of FC) and I have been very pleased with it so far, even though it is not a lite build. I have been heating the resin in the microwave to help thin it a bit though. The few bubbles I get are easily removed by heating with a lighter. The stuff is clear as glass! For a beginner I would suggest a lite build since it seems to be a bit more foregiving. For an UL rod, I would put on just enough lite build to coat the threads, then trim any fuzzies after it dries and apply one more coat. Two coats of high build would be excessive for an UL. Just my two cents.

Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 20, 2007 04:40PM

Roger I am in the process of building the same rod but the six foot for my boys its acutally a nice blank. But what do I know they are my first two rods that I have built. When ordering ask Drew at Mudhole he will set you up with the complete package I used a handle kit on the two blanks here worked out pretty nice. I am almost finished wrapping the first one two more guides to wrap on. Just had to put my two sense in for what its worth. Hope you enjoy it as much as I have so far.
Brent

Posted by: Bill Peifer (---.gci.net)
Date: June 20, 2007 04:41PM

The Kid factor. 7 years old? Murphey's law says (and I'm a firm believer) that while fishing with you, he will hook the largest fish you have ever seen in that body of water. might consider a light action slightly longer (two piece?) rather than ultra light. He can still have a very limber fun rod for panfish yet have the handle length to perfect his two handed casting and fish control. For all I know he might live within bicycle distance of a favorite fishing hole, God only knows what might be swimming around in there.
One thing for sure, time spent fishing with grandpa lasts a lifetime, some rods dont, even that solid fiberglass, two piece I ran through my bicycle spokes when I was about 7.
If you have a secret duplicate first rod ready for an accident like that, the rod will be downright magical. If you can, build two.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster