I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CCS data for IP840 and 3S70ULM2
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: June 19, 2007 07:44AM

A couple weeks ago I was asking if anyone had this information. For those interested in UL spinning blanks, here is the data for the Rainshadow IP840 and St. Croix 3S70ULM2 blanks I just received yesterday.

Rainshadow IP840 ERN = 8.03 AA = 70

St. Croix 3S70ULM2 ERN = 5.35 AA = 67

I will post the data in the CCS database too. I'm going to build them both with graphite tubing TN grips, then BYAG 20, BYAG 10, BLAG6s out to BFAT6 tip. Should be a pair of very fun rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CCS data for IP840 and 3S70ULM2
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2007 08:53AM

The super fast action of the Rainshadow model intrigues me. I assume it's a 7 footer?

Date: June 19, 2007 09:00AM

Yes, 7' 1pc. I think that given your passion for light line smallmouth fishing, it might be one you want to look at. The St. Croix model is a 2pc.

Posted by: Andrei Sava (---.complex.upt.ro)
Date: June 19, 2007 10:18AM

I have a question concerning the CCS, and mesurring the ERN. Does a cent weigh only 1grain? It seems kinda 2 little, since a grain is about 0,06g. I'd like to be able to mesure more than the SS of a rod, but for that i'd need to know the actual weigh of an american cent.

And another q regarding the mesurement of the ERN...it says the rod should be bent to 1/3 of it's actual length? Why is that....shouldn't that be determined by the AA? If it's afast rod...bend it 2 1/3 of it's actual length, if it's a mod/fast rod....bend it 2 i guess 5/6 of it's length or about that, cause the slower the rod, the more it'll bend when u actually throw something. Shouldn't that be taken in consideration? I'm sorry for doubting the ERN mesurement, but i'm learning to be an enginere, so it's kinda natural to pose these questions.

Sorry for the bit of the off topic!

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 19, 2007 10:19AM

The IP841 I built was also a fast tipped rod, a little lighter powered version of the Loomis P8400 or Shikari P7000 blanks.

Date: June 19, 2007 10:28AM

Andrei, the weight of a U.S. penny (cent) of modern manufacture ('96 and since) is 2.50 grams.

To measure the ERN and AA of a blank, you have to use the exact methods Dr. Hanneman specified or else you can't compare your results to anyone else's. Using the exact methods is what makes the system a standard. Like using a meter stick that is exactly 1 meter. Otherwise, everyone's data would be different and we would be right where we started, with arbitrary definitions of power and action. Sounds like you better read the articles before you do this or you are not going to get the right results. A good place to start is the link at the top left, "common cents info."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2007 10:30AM by Steve Kartalia.

Date: June 19, 2007 10:31AM

Andrei,
I think a cent weighs 3.33 grains if I remember right. It's in the Common Cents Info site to the left for the correct info.

Date: June 19, 2007 10:40AM

I've been corrected, thanks Steve. I need some coffee I guess to wake up what left of the brain cells, the wife says I'm getting more AllTheTimers everyday. Just came back from my annual Alaska trip and I still remember that I can't stay there all summer so I guess it's not to bad yet.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2007 10:52AM

Andrei,

You really need to read up on the CCS. The deflection amount is a standard - if you use different deflection amounts the data won't be relative across the board. Also, you needn't worry what a cent weighs - the author has done all that work for you and offers the Rosetta Stone chart for the conversion to ERN so that all you have to do is just count up the number of pennies needed to obtain the required deflection and then relate that to the power chart.

Dr. Hanneman has recently released the "Universal Rod Rating System" and it will appear in the Volume 10 #4 issue of RodMaker Magazine. This is simply an expansion of the CCS so the new Rosetta Stone chart will include amounts that allow you to measure and compare the heavier spinning and casting rods as well.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2007 10:54AM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: June 19, 2007 10:52AM

The IP840 is a very overlooked "Sleeper". Builders that are looking for a * 7 ft., One-Piece* blank that is sorta in-between a light and ultra light, the IP840 is a fantastic blank and the price is right. But, for some reason this blank just is not getting the attention it deserves. It is very versatile, with the light tip and still enough butt power if you do happen to land into a larger fish. For me, it makes a great panfish, crappie, trout and smaller bass rod. Just a super fun rod !!

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Date: June 19, 2007 11:10AM

Bob's description of the IP840 sounds dead-on and I can't wait to get this thing built. Got two trips in the next two weeks and both these rods are going with me. He's right about the price - $34. I've heard several people ask about short bass fly rods on the board before. This is a great candidate for that. My IP840 will have a TN grip so I can easily put a fly reel and a 7 or 8wt. line on it to throw big bass bugs.

Posted by: Andrei Sava (---.complex.upt.ro)
Date: June 19, 2007 05:23PM

Thank you guys for the replyes. I've read the first article before posing these q's didn't have time to read the other ones, but making time for them as well. I needed to know tha weigh of a cent so i can d the ERN wit regular weights, mesure, and divide by the weigh of a cent.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: June 20, 2007 09:19AM

Steve - thanks for the information. You (and Bob) answered a question that's been rambling through my mind. I've been thinking about a short, heavier weight fly rod for river bass fishing, and in particular for our Shoal Bass. I need to chuck and duck big, heavy streamers directly into shoals while wading. Distance isn't an issue, but having power and leverage to quickly turn the fish before they bull dogs back into a cave is. It sounds like the IP840 would fit the bill. Also like you idea of setting it up with the TN as a combo (just in case I have to go over to the darkside and throw a spinnerbait :) ).

Date: June 20, 2007 10:36AM

Glad to help a brother out. I fish a lot of small water with big flies so I think these two rods will both get used alternately as spin and fly rods. Most of the water I fish can be very well and effectively covered with 20-40 casts and stripping streamers or chugging poppers. A long rod is just not needed for that type of fishing. I don't like to wade with a net and I am short (5'6") so I find landing and releasing fish a lot easier with a relatively short rod. My short reach makes that task with a 9' rod sort of a pain in the butt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster