I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advise on light spinning rod
Posted by: Adrian van de Sande (---.adsl-surfen.hetnet.nl)
Date: June 18, 2007 07:03PM

Hi there, I'm not really experienced in rod building. Made some rods some years ago.
But I want to make me something special.
I have a Browning River Fly rod 7.6" 4-5 weight. Nice looking but one too many. Always when I felt the rod I thought it might be a nice rod to use with small plugs (Deep diving Salmo Hornets 4 cm) Tried it with a reel duck taped to it and felt good. Very nice registration (I have a little doubt if it is able to set the hook well enough though).
Couple of questions: anyone familiar with that rod?
Would it work well as a light crank/spinning rod?
Should I shorten it slightly (3 to 6" each side) to make it a bit more solid?
Last question: want to use American Tackle Company Solid Titanium Frame Casting Guide with Nanolite Ring on it (sizes 20-12-8-6-6-6-6+tiptop) is that a good choice?
Your advice will be appreciated.
rgds Adrian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advise on light spinning rod
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 18, 2007 07:55PM

Adrian,
Not sure about the application, but I do know that shortening the rod will not make it more solid. Shortening the bottom will make the blank slower and have less power. Taking it off the top will slow the action and not change the power.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.78.176.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 18, 2007 10:38PM

I often shorten rods from the butt end. I can't imagine ever purposely cutting anything off the tip of a rod. I'm sure some folks do it and with good reason, but to me it is sacrilege. That's the point of the arrow, so to speak, for me. The business end. I will find another blank before I trim a tip.

What are you looking to fish for here? Sounds like maybe a smallmouth rod?

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: June 18, 2007 11:51PM

Don't trim the tip.

BTW, Browning doesn't make this rod, it's a private-label piece out of China.

If I read your post right, you're saying it's one weight too heavy? I'm a little mystified (as are some other folks) about what you're trying to do with it.

Uncle Russ
Calico Crfeek Rods

Posted by: Adrian van de Sande (62.41.186.---)
Date: June 19, 2007 02:59AM

I'm sorry if I am not really clear.
I have too many fly rods and found no use for this one.
I want to change it into a spinning rod which I want to use with small crankbaits such as the Salmo 4 cm Deep Divers and others similar.
Rgds Adrian

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: June 19, 2007 08:52AM

I'd think that it would make a fun spinning rod to use. I also think that I would leave the length alone, I use quite a few light rods over 7' for Small Mouths and Pan Fish and like the feel of a hard pulling fish on light line. I use a lot of long rods with 6 pound mono and never have much problem with break offs as the long limber rod makes a great shock absorber. I think if you turn this into a spinning rod you would find that you would use the rod much more than you do now.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 19, 2007 08:57AM

Length is more important that stiffness when it comes to hook setting ability. An ultra-light in an 8 foot length is going to be a more effective hook setting tool than a extremely stiff 6 foot rod would be. Hook setting relies on overcoming line stretch, therefore it's more a matter of how much and how far you move the line, rather than how stout the rod is.

A longer rod magnifies the fight of the fish because it offers him a greater mechanical advantage in terms of leverage. Your mechanical advantage is on the line recovery end, because you'll move the fish farther per sweep of the rod. But he'll be able to apply more pressure on you. I would think that anyone that's building a rod intended to use lighter line on smaller fish would actually prefer a longer rod for this exact reason.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: June 19, 2007 11:25PM

@Adrian,

What Tom tell you is right.,

My advise is to use high "match"slyle frame guides ,model "M"(BATSON ENTERPRISES),because this guides are designed for ultra-light and light action rods.I builded many spinning rods using fly blanks(9' w4,w5 ,w6 ,w8,w9 )and match guides and i can say i love this rods.

Jean Scurtu

Posted by: John F Richardson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 20, 2007 12:02AM

The length sounds about right for a good light action rod. I would be carful with the hook setting ability. While it is true that added length will help with the hook set a slow soft action takes a while to load up and deliver and power to the line. Not only do you have to pick up your slack and stretch in the line you also have to pick up the flex in the rod. I built a fly rod blank (9' 5wt) into a sea run cutthroat plug rod and it could not hook a fish it took to long to load up.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: June 20, 2007 09:32AM

I built a spinning rod on a 7'9" 3wt Forecast extended 1 foot to get the extra casting distance for light inline spinners and small crankbaits. I use it to cast to really spooky Trout in shallow water of a lake I frequently fish. Even though hook set is not the same with Trout as with Bass, one thing I did to help with hook setting is spool my reel with 12lb braid and then use 4-5' of 6 lb flouro leader. No stretch to deal with in the running line plus long sweep and I don't miss many fish.

Posted by: Adrian van de Sande (---.adsl-surfen.hetnet.nl)
Date: June 20, 2007 05:13PM

Thanks guys for your advise. It really helps. I will build it.
For my last question: "want to use American Tackle Company Solid Titanium Frame Casting Guide with Nanolite Ring (Cabelas) on it (sizes 20-12-8-6-6-6-6+tiptop) is that a good choice?" anyone familiar with these? I want to use very light guides in order not to lose the current action,
Jean, thanks for the tip on the guides you use, I will have a look on those too.

rgds Adrian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster