I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Handle 8'6" for #4
Posted by: Philip Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: June 14, 2007 10:29AM

Folks:

I remember reading recently on the board about how the 1/2 wells and cigar grips were just not quite right for even small fly rods. Went back and searched but could not find the thread. Something about hand comfort.

So I wonder if I ought not to install a full wells grip on this somewhat delicate blank.

Until now I have reserved my saltwater rods for full wells handles, and 1/2 wells on the fresh water blanks (at least those for 6 wt or less) probably more out of a sense of what other folks did than anything else.

My cork grips are pre-made - I haven't done the rings for at least 30 years.

If it makes a difference, I wear XL gloves, although with somewhat long fingers.

Any comments welcome, then I'll dig out the epoxy and get going!

Whit

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Handle 8'6" for #4
Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: June 14, 2007 11:03AM

Comfort is all that matters. My 4F864 has a preformed Struble modified wells aka Fenwick and a downlocking PacBay D5 seat. I turned about 1/32" or so off the Struble diameter to make it fit my hand better. I love it.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.47.167.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: June 14, 2007 11:28AM

Philip,
Fly rod grips is a topic where you will find many opinions. If you are not making your own grips, then you are pretty much stuck with cigar, full-wells, and reversed half-wells. Which you use is pretty much up to you in terms of comfort and aesthetics.

I make my own and recently have moved from using reversed half-wells grips to the Ritz-Gordon grip found in a copy of Rodmaker Magazine. I also make my grips a bit longer than normal. My grips are typically 8" instead of 7" and I have made a few that are 8.5". I have modifed the Ritz-Gordon to have a well at the butt and flaring that out a bit. I think the extra material at the butt gives extra protection for recessed reel seats.

You need to decide what you like. For a light rod, I doubt if you will need the extra well at the front. Good luck with your project.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frsn02.pacbell.net)
Date: June 14, 2007 12:03PM

i like fenwick style grips on my light rods, 3 and 4 weights. you can find them preformed, and you could even shape them down a tad if needed.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: June 15, 2007 02:37AM

I have small hands and find the reverse half wells,western,and cigar shaped grips to be comfortable on lighter line rods,provided they aren't too thick for me.I also think these styles of grip tend to look the best on light fly rods so I am willing to give up a tad bit of comfort for a nicer look.

The Fenwick style is very comfy in the hand,but I've never liked the look myself.

On heavier fly rods I really like the feel and look of a full wells grip and I have found that a small diameter full wells grip is actually the most comfortable in my hand.I've put a few small(6 1/2"-7" and smaller diameter) full wells grips on some light fly rods and loved the way they feel.They don't look quite as good on a light rod as a reverse half wells to me,but they are more comfy in the hand.I think if the reverse half wells grips were really uncomfy for me I would use the small full wells a lot more often,but I don't mind the feel of the reverse half wells or superfine grips on lighter rods(6wt and under).

Posted by: sam fox (204.73.103.---)
Date: June 15, 2007 08:31AM

Built a full wells grip on an 8' 6" five piece blank and made it 8 inches long and thinned it down to fit my hand. Most comfortable grip I have used, just be sure you scale it down to match the light rod.

Posted by: Philip Engle (---.prenova.com)
Date: June 15, 2007 11:09AM

Thanks Guys:

I think I might try a preformed full wells, then If I feel lucky turn it down a bit.

Whit

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: June 15, 2007 11:28AM

I've probaly built several hunderd fly rods over the years and I find the full wells grip to be the most comfortable and best all around grip you can use even on the lightest of fly rods. The mistake some people make is they make the grip too large in diameter and they have a hard time feeling the rod load so their casting suffers and they end up blaming the blank when in fact it's the grip. To fit most peoples hands a 71/2 inch length is a very good starting point that way you can add or subtract a ring to suit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster