I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

holograghic thread ?
Posted by: Tim Harris (---.dhs.gov)
Date: June 14, 2007 09:03AM

Ok guys...I need some advice. I need to build a rod from my aunt for her anniversary gift and it needs to have purple nylon wraps with holograghic trim bands. What thread should I buy for the holographic trim bands and accents? I noticed mudhole has some prizim thread in fusicia that might look pretty good. Anyone have any reccomendations? I just want to make shure I don't get any of that ribbon type thread by mistake. I will also be using guides with holo rings as well. Thanks again guys.

TJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: holograghic thread ?
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: June 14, 2007 09:47AM

Prizm is the ribbon type. Gudebrod had Electra thread which had holographics but I don't think they make it anymore.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: June 14, 2007 10:00AM

Do not use any metallic purple thread. Color change is quite quick in sunlight to a dull pewter color.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 14, 2007 10:25AM

... and Sulky HoloShimmer, which is a ribbon thread

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: June 14, 2007 10:32AM

Nothing wrong with using the ribbon thread for trim bands......looks cool too.

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.dhs.gov)
Date: June 14, 2007 10:48AM

Thanks for the replys guys. Concerning the ribbon type stuff, is there any special tricks to using it. I mainly want to use it for trim (end bands) on my wraps. I usually just tape a piece of metallic thread down to the blank and start my wrap over the top. I then trim the metallic after about 6 or7 turns of the main wrap thread and finish the wrap. Once the wrap is complete, I lay a tie off loop next to the metallic tag protruding from under the wrap and usually make three turns and then pull it under and snip off the tag. Would that method work for the ribbon type thread? It seems to me since it is flat, it would be hard to lay next to itself and would get messed up when you do your tie off. Thanks guys.

TJ

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: June 14, 2007 12:01PM

I do single band trim wraps with Prizm by using a tooth pick to put a SMALL (as small as you can get it) drop of superglue on the blank. Push the end of the the Prizm onto the superglue. Wrap the Prizm around the blank. Put another dap of superglue on the Prizm where you glued it to the blank. Wrap the Prizm over itself and the 2nd dab. use a razor blade to hold the Prizm into the superglue and pull the tag end back against the razor to trim it. The superglue will hold the Prizm in place until you apply the finish. After you do a few of these you'll be able to do the whole thing in 5 - 10 seconds.

Posted by: Gary Colling (---.fibrewired.on.ca)
Date: June 14, 2007 12:07PM

I use the prizim lots for trim bands but I find it just does not act like tread so the usual wrapping mehtod does not work for me. I put a minute dab of crazy glue about an inch up from the starting end of the prizim and hold it on the trim band start point. Adhears within 10 to 15 seconds. Trim the overhanging tag and do the wrap. To finish, I wrap the prizim back on to itself and use a tooth picl to put another dab of crazy glue on the prizim then continue the wrap till the dab makes contact. Hold for 10 seconds and trim it off where it is glued down. works for me every time and is real quick.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: June 14, 2007 03:24PM

I do single bands with the Prizm just like I would any other type of thread. The key to using the Prizm thread is moderation, it shines so much that a single wrap is all you need, more than that and it looks too cheezy.

Date: June 14, 2007 06:21PM

Bill,,, is the purple thing generic, or just with certain threads?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: June 14, 2007 07:49PM

It seems to me that the Sulky metallic (so far) is much better for not fading than the Gudebrod for me.

It depends on the properties of the finish used over top of it, too. Some finishes really allow the sunlight to do damage, others not as fast.

A very thin coat of finish will allow fading much sooner than a thicker coat of finish with the Gudebrod purple metallic.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Tim Harris (---.stx.res.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2007 08:52PM

Thanks for all the responses guys. I am seriously considering just using Gudebrod purple nylon and the metallic dusty rose for the accents. Has anyone noticed the fading issue with any of the pinks as well? Being hard to really tell from the colors on my screen, is anyone familiar with that combo and do you think the two will compliment each other? Thanks fellas.

TJ

Date: June 14, 2007 09:51PM

Thanks Randy,,, I'm not real surprised that Sulky holds up better. They have a much wider and more varied market, more R&D, competition, and upgrade/revamp their stuff with technology changes. Sounds like I won't worry too much about Sulky purple then. I have just a few colors short of a full set of Holoshimmer that I scored cheap on @#$%&. I've been avoiding Gudebrod because I jfeel they rest on tradition, while technology passed them by many years ago.

So far as finish, seems to me that all the made-for-rod finishes have a UV problem. I've wondered about using Minwax Clearshield, which is their updated spar if you read their site, and even mentions fiberglass in the list of items. I also note that TAP Plastics has an epoxy finish for outdoors that has some UV aspect to it: "EX-74 is the UV resistant version of Ultra-Glo suitable for exterior use.". I have sorta wondered about how these would work on rods. I have to wonder why the 'official' finishes don't actually become UV protectant. Maybe it makes them less clear, but what good is crystal clear if what's under it fades and degrades?

And the traditional thread used for rods (Gudebrod again) is not UV resistant. So UV transparent finishes over UV sensitive nylon is the 'standard'. :-O There actually is UV protected nylon out there, but not in the rod building world. I just got an assortment of c-lon thread in D. Looks nice enough and is UV and fray resistant. Much less fuzzy looking than poly sewing threads and Gudebrod nylon. I'm gonna give it a try this weekend, over B underwraps. Lots of folks seem to be using poly thread as well, which is usually UV resistant.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: June 14, 2007 10:54PM

Tim, Halographic thread is easy to deal with.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.79.24.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 14, 2007 11:37PM

Prizm is good stuff, as is the Sulky. Like Jim, I've done many a butt wrap with nothing but holo, and use it a lot for trim bands. I use the superglue method. Much easier than traditional loops. Only two warnings. Use as little glue as possible as too much will whiten/deaden the holo effect, and permagloss will disolve superglue. It's very annoying to PG your wraps and a few minutes later watch all your prizm bands pop off like a machine gun down the rod.

As far as purple metallics go, the stuff fades out really fast. I've only tested gudebrod and coats and clark, but both go south real fast. I try to stay away from the blue and red metallics as much as possible. The regular nylons are as good as any other color for the most part, but there is something about those metallics. The holo blues and reds don't seem to have this problem though, at least in a radical amount.

Date: June 15, 2007 01:09AM

100% holo buttwrap? Open I hope :-)
Any recommendations on patterm for such a wrap?
I was going thru Billy's book and wonder about the Snowflake. But ending it at the 3rd stage rather than all 6 stages. The Maze is another I think might look good incomplete and with holo.. I had another few picked out from the visual wrap lib as well, not in the book, but they escape me at this moment.

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: June 15, 2007 02:23AM

The Gudebrod purple thread looks nice,but Angler's Workshop has a few colors of purple that look much better IMHO.The color Grape(with CP) looks absolutely fantastic when matched with the holographic zirconia ring guides and some thin holographic trim.

I built a rod with the holo guides and used this thread,along with Gudebrod's size A gold colored Electra Holographic Thread and the result was beautiful.Gudebrod Cobalt Blue(with CP) looks great with these guides as well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster