I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rear grip length
Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: June 02, 2007 03:50PM

I'm building a little 6' creek rod, designed for fishing small worms/tubes for smallies.

I have no idea what length of rear grip to use on something like this. I'm not sure I've ever built anything this short.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rear grip length
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 02, 2007 04:08PM

My guess would be 5-7" behind the reel seat for ME. But you have to be the judge on handle lengths, as you are the user and it matters.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 02, 2007 04:31PM

Whatever feels best for YOU!!!! There is no set length for any grip.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: June 02, 2007 05:39PM

I realize that the length of rear grip is tailored to the user's taste. But, this is a different type of fishing than I normally do. Typically, I'm using 6.5' to 7' spinning rods on large, coverless lakes, where casting distance is key. So, my rear grip length is somewhere around 8-9". That allows me to make two-handed casts with ease.

But, for this river/creek fishing, I'm guessing I'll be making short, quick casts, either while wading, or from a canoe. And, the casts have to be accurate. So, the cast will be more wrist than anything else. . . I think. . .

So, hopefully this post clarifies a bit. I'm looking for a grip length that excels at quick, accurate, low trajectory casts from a canoe/belly boat.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 02, 2007 06:01PM

I would go 5 or 6" but that's me. I'm assuming that this is a spinning rod where your hand is pretty much around the reel seat more than the grip. Have you considered an NPS seat and split grip like this [www.rodbuilding.org] Awesome setup.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 02, 2007 06:03PM

I thought that a rear grip should be a least to the middle of the forearm when holding on to the reel seat.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2007 06:50PM

Tery;
that depends on the person and what you are trying ot accomplish. I have a rod I use for target casting spiner baits in tight conditions,
the the handle is only 4" long.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: June 02, 2007 07:08PM

I build rods like that at 4-5", no more. I like the grip to NOT touch my arm at all.

Date: June 02, 2007 10:28PM

I should have clarified further. It is a spinning rod. Where I live, baitcasting gear would be tough to use for river/creek fishing, as the standard line is 6 lb. test.

I use the NPS seats on almost all my spinning rod builds. However, on this one I used an SKM17 with a cork insert. Just trying to keep this thing as light as possible.

I had guessed around 6", so it sounds like I was in the ballpark.

Posted by: Scott VanGuilder (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 04, 2007 08:40AM

If it is a lightweight rod, I would consider a Tennesee style handle and either use rings or tape on instead of real seat, that way can adjust to what works and feels best.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster