I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Water Slip without Water
Posted by: Andrew Dickinson (---.sub-75-212-51.myvzw.com)
Date: May 31, 2007 08:14PM

Hey guys,
I'm in a bind and need some advice on how to apply a waterslip decal. I have a rod that neds to go out and I tried to apply my water slide decal but I must have let it sit in water too long because there's wasn't anough adhesive to hold it down on the blank. I only have one decal so I need to make it work if possible. Is there any way to adhere it without water and its adhesive? Its a matte blank I'm working with but I put Gudebrod rod varnish on the decal spot. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Andrew

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Water Slip without Water
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 31, 2007 08:48PM

Only about 5 seconds in the water is needed to get it work properly. The article that appeared in RodMaker Magazine regarding application of water slide decals is now on the Decal Connection website as well. Read it and I think your decal application problems will be over.

Posted by: Andrew Dickinson (---.sub-75-212-51.myvzw.com)
Date: May 31, 2007 09:25PM

Tom,
Thank for the referral. I will be much better prepared for the next time. Any ideas about how I can make this bum decal work? I can't get any more before this rod needs to go out. Can I press it int oa coat of epoxy or coat it with CP? Thanks!
Andrew

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2007 09:38PM

I've never needed to tried it but CP works for feathers so
I would think it would work for your decal.

It pays to order a couple decals. Decal mishaps are common unfortunately sometimes.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2007 09:45PM

ALWAYS order two or three decals just for insurance if you mess up on the first one. A couple of extra decals added to the price of the rod won't make much diffference but will give you peace of mind knowing you have a backup decal in case anything goes wrong.

Posted by: Bill Peifer (---.gci.net)
Date: May 31, 2007 10:42PM

I would try positioning the decal again with distilled water, brushing out the bubbles, and if it didn't curl up by then, seal it with CP.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 31, 2007 10:45PM

I have usd CP on decals before, all you have to do is put a lite coat of CP on your decal, let it set till it gets tacky. Then apply it to your rod. Now you have to becareful, you well have to remove all the air pockets. Too do this start at the top and slowly move down. I use my finger and lightly press working the bubbles out. Next put a thine coat of thread finish over the decal. I hope this works
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 31, 2007 11:29PM

If you have any of the water activated gum tape, wet the adhesive side liberally with water and rub the decal on it. The adhesive will transfer to the decal, and you can apply it as normal.

Posted by: Dave Gibson (---.metrocast.net)
Date: June 01, 2007 07:36AM

A quick shot of Sulky KK 2000 adhesive has always worked for me when a decal needs to be stuck somewhere.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: June 01, 2007 10:22AM

For a decal with most of the adhesive gone, I agree with Bob. Float the decal with CP, work the bubbles out. If you have a roller, even better than your finger.

Let us know how it turns out.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster