I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wonder desinagration
Posted by: Billy Broderick (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2007 11:47PM

I was one of the first to get the wonder reamer set when they came out as i pre ordered them. well i have had it for 3 or 4 month's and kind of babied it . Well today I was reaming some burl grips for rods I have going and the medium size "desinagrated" in the middle of use. I know the lamar cork is sort of ttough but it shouldn't have melted tjhe substrate. Anyone have a suggestion as to what i should do? I paid a lot of money for me anyways (small shop) and am dissapointed this happened. Up untill now I was praising the tool as a time saver and loved the quality of the grips when done. Has this happened to anyone else?
BILLY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wonder desinagration
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2007 12:43AM

The archive is a wonderful tool if you use it!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 27, 2007 02:01AM

I would call Kerry or Bill Batson (RainShadow/Forecast ). I believe They make the reamer or contack your supplier.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: May 27, 2007 02:26AM

Good advice Bob I wil do that first thing monday morning. Hey Ray your sarcasm leaves little to be desired. Rod builders are curtious helpful people. If reading somones post bothers you perhaps you shouldn't reply or go to anothe r site. I had a proffesional problem and needed to see if anyone else had the same thing happen. I will contact Bill direct Ray he is very receptive thank you.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: May 27, 2007 06:20AM

Billy,
I think you got the wrong impression about Raymond. He is one of the most helpful guys in rodbuilding that I know. He has often offered to send me parts that I could not find or e-mailed me tutorials to help me with my work. Sometimes we write comments without thinking they may come across as offensive to others while trying to be helpful.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2007 10:07AM

Billy ,

The Dream Reamers, if you buy the set comes with extra rolls of grit to replace the grit that wears away or comes undone. Replace it using contact cement. Put a heavy coat on the reamer after using a piece of sandpaper to clean off the old residue then put a coat of cement on the extra roll of grit, wait about ten or twelve minutes then spiral it up or down the reamer, whichever way you prefer. I have reamers built using contact cement that are several years old and still use them almost daily.

Date: May 27, 2007 10:55AM

No sarcasm intented.

Billy,
You asked if others had experienced any problems with dream reamers and I provided
a link to a previous thread on that very subject. Sorry if that offended you but all I was
trying to do was point out the archives to those new to the site.

Thank you for your comments Ellis

Raymond Adams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2007 11:02AM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 27, 2007 11:41AM

Billy you may have had a proffesional problem, but your comments to Ray do not diplay a proffesional attatude.

Date: May 27, 2007 12:37PM

Point well taken steve! Guess i was frustrated sorry Ray no offense.

Date: May 27, 2007 12:51PM

No worries Billy,
After re-reading my first post I could see how it might have taken as
a slap. I assure you I didnt mean it like that.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.22.29.71.ip.alltel.net)
Date: May 27, 2007 02:17PM

I had some trouble with the smallest of the set. Did one grip, cork and exotic burl, and the abrasive melted right off. Of course, Batson took care of it right away - they are such a good company!
I think that this may be because the smallest has a finer abrasive that the others, and maybe builds up more heat. Haven't had any more trouble, but I may replace the abrasive with a coarser grit when it needs replacing.
Steve Broadwell

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 27, 2007 04:14PM

Bill and Karry Batson demonstrated using these reamers in Woodland and really stressed slow speed and short bursts of reaming time to cut down on heat build-up. Any adhesive will fail at a certain temperature. Take it slow and easy.

The faster the reamer is turned and the longer it's used without letting it cool, the higher the chance of the adhesive failing.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: May 27, 2007 07:11PM

Randy is correct! When Bill and Kerry deminstrated the wonder reamer in Woodland, they both stressed using medium speeds in short bursts Do to the fact using high speeds and long had stroks well cause a lailur like Billy's.
Good Wraps Bob

Date: May 28, 2007 06:33PM

wait wait its wasn't the paper or grit that failed. I mean the fiberglass it's self failed. the only thing left is cloth. Almost like the fiberglass melted. I really wasn't going that fast either. Anyways its not the grit or paper its the glass substrate.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 28, 2007 06:38PM

I would get hold of Bill or Karry Batson on it, Billy. I'm sure they'll take care of that.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: May 28, 2007 10:20PM

Billy Randy and I have both stated! You can not force that weaver at high speeds. If you do you create a lot of heat and the glass well delaminate. Years back when I made my own remers using grit and solid glass shaft from a old fishing rod. I had no problems doing it by hand , but as soon as I put the reamer in to a drill and started to high speed reaming and forcing the reamer in to the cork. Guess what that glass would get so hot it would burn you. Well needless to say I melted a few reamers,
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster