I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

dream reamer / handles/reelseats question
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 25, 2007 11:48PM

Ok, here's my question - I have a 3/8" mandrel that I originally had a local machinist make for me as a regular cork mandrel. I threaded one end and bought brass spacers to be able to use it for wood grips and reelseats - it's identical to Andy's wood mandrels. I also have a penturners mandrel, which is 1/4" in diameter. So here's my question: for you wood grip guys, how do you finalize the fit of the grip, or even the reelseat, to the blank? For example, I turned a spinning reelseat today out of some nice big leaf maple burl. First, I bored the blank on the lathe with a 3/8 bit, then placed it on my 3/8" mandrel. Worked great, and I got a nice reelseat out of it - of course, it is not quite large enough to get to where I want it on the blank, so some additional reaming is required. Has anyone used the Dream Reamer to ream wood? How does it work? Are there any additional tips you have to get that final fit? I'm kicking around using my penmakers mandrel and buying the jig to make the flexcoat arbor bits. That way I could bore all my grips/seats at 1/4", turn them on the penmakers mandrel ( I won't be making long wood grips - too much weight, they will all be split grip), then use the FC bit to bore to a close size. But then I'm still stuck with the issue of the handle or seat being either a little too small or a little too big - I'm also worried about tearout at the ends... I hate a little too big - more epoxy, more weight. Any suggestions or ideas?

Sorry for the rambling, been a long week, and I'm tired!!!

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dream reamer / handles/reelseats question
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 26, 2007 01:03AM

I do mine the same way. Bore to 3/8" put on Andy's threaded mandrel and turn. I then chuck up a reamer (I now use Dream reamers but have used numerous others. Even rat tail files), insert the drill into a vise with the reamer pointing straight up and SLOWLY lower and raise (to clear out the sawdust) the grip over the reamer. If I know I need it fairly large, I bore to 1/2" and use 1/2" mandrel, then ream

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2007 02:45AM

If I can't get an exact fit, I drll them oversized then use a couple of foam arbors glued into the reel seat. Then it's real easy to ream out the arbor to fit the blank.

Posted by: Clive G Morris (---.r1.ncbrvr.InfoAve.Net)
Date: May 26, 2007 01:12PM

I find the Dream Reamer works a treat for wood handles, but like Mike says, I do it SLOWLY, and frequently clear the dust from the reamer, trying not to get the sandpaper too hot , and with abit of patience, one can get a good fit.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 26, 2007 01:17PM

I countersunk the ends of the 3 largest Dream Reamers so I could chuck them up in my wood lathe for power reaming and it works great. I even ream graphite reel seats. Jesse

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 26, 2007 11:06PM

Thanks guys, guess I just HAVE to buy the Dream Reamers :-) I'm thinking about the 1/2" mandrel too - will probably buy one of Andy's or make a couple of my own. Lance - I'm going to be trying the FC arbor method too, great way to save some weight in the process. Do you turn them on a 1/4" mandrel then bore them to fit the arbor after you turn them?

Posted by: John F Richardson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2007 02:57AM

Rich- You do HAVE to buy the dream reamer. I used to hand ream my grips until I got the dream reamer. I don't know how I survived without I used to hate fitting grips now it is quick and fun. Power tools just make life better. They work great but they are made of glass so heat is a problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster