I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay power wrapper - which model?
Posted by: John Richardson (---.westcare.org)
Date: May 25, 2007 01:32PM

I have a dealer offering me a Pac Bay Rodsmith Rod Wrapper Model RW-3L. It is a store demo model and the price would be $230 plus shipping.

I have read a lot of the old messages dealing with the differences between the plastic chuck on the RW-3L and the aluminum chuck on the RW-XL and RW-3XL. The general consensus is that the aluminum chuck is preferred.

I am wrestling with the price difference between this model and the other models. The price difference is approximately $75-80 between this one and the other models which are offered by many of the sponsors of this site. Is the upgraded chuck worth the extra investment?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay power wrapper - which model?
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 25, 2007 01:59PM

Just my opinion, but if you plan to do any handle shaping at all, it's worth the money. The aluminum chuck is smoother opening & closing than the plastic unit, but other than that, the plastic chuck works fine for it's intended purpose. Holding the rod. It's not the chuck that's going to make as much of a difference as the ball bearing headstock. There's no runout with the upgraded headstock/chuck assy., where the runout can be considerable after you get some hours on the plastic headstock/chuck.

As far as the demo being "worth it" or not is up to you. Check the shipping before you pull the trigger. It can be expensive. Also, is it the new thread carriage or the old one? If nothing else, keep in the back of your mind that you can upgrade the RW-3L to an RW3-XL down the road for under $100. The upgraded chuck/headstock is the ONLY difference. The only difference between the RW3-XL and the RW-XL is the tubular bed. We sell 30 RW3-XL's to one RW-XL, and we sell two RW3-XL's to one RW-3L.

When weighing your options, consider this one into it... We have an RBO ONLY Special for the RW3-XL with free shipping here --> [] That special isn't linked else on our site. It's only available from that link in this forum.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 25, 2007 02:22PM

I would consider the upgrade chuck a necessity although I have found the upgrade chuck to come loose often enough that I quit using it a year ago.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Richardson (---.westcare.org)
Date: May 25, 2007 03:03PM

Thanks for the advice.

I tend to do my handle shaping using a power-drill based Grizzly lathe and Andy Dear's mandrels. That said, it might be nice to be able to do it all in one place or to shape handles on the blank.

I actually have been checking out your RBO specials page and that is what has given me pause on buying the demo model. Amortizing the cost difference over the expected life of the wrapper and it comes out to be pennies.

Mark, how long does the @#$%& free shipping special last?

Thanks

John

Waynesville, North Carolina --
Gateway to the Smokies

Date: May 25, 2007 03:46PM

It's good for another couple of weeks. I'll probably put up another post 48 hours before I take it down.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2007 05:10PM

I also consider the upgrade chuck worth it.
Even though it does come loose.
But I also corrected that by putting a strip of tape around the chuchk after I have mounted the rod into the chuck.
Have not had one come loose since even after turning over night in the drying mode.

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2007 05:36PM

Mike and Steve

Capt Neil on another board gave me the best suggestion for this chuck. It is to wrap a rubber band around the blank or butt cap where it goes into the chuck. Since I tried this my chuck has never come loose during operation.

I don't use this pac bay for shaping as I have a Lathe.

Ernie

Date: May 25, 2007 05:43PM

This new chuck they're shipping doesn't seem to be working loose. Haven't heard a word about it since we started shipping it a month ago.

Steve,

To avoid it working loose when drying, make sure the dryer motor rotates the rod TOWARDS you rather than away as it does while wrapping. That way the chuck isn't working against itself trying to open. Another thing that helps is to adjust your final support so that the center of the rod's tip is 4-5/8" up off the bed, then adjust the rest of the supports to support the blank evenly. The rod not being level (blank's tip to chuck center) is what will make the rod's butt walk forward in the jaws.

BTW, that 4-5/8" is from memory on MY two machines. Measure your chuck's center height before taking that 4-5/8" to the bank!

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb2.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: May 25, 2007 09:07PM

I have never had any trouble withe the new chuck. On the other hand with the older chuck I had to eather wrap the jaws with tap pr rubber band. Also I found this also helps with the older chuck is place surgical tubbing over the jaws, also make sure the chuck is tight. I have 2 pacBay wrappers and use them both at times. I also have a Renzetta. That I use for turning cork. With all 3 I am able too freehand power wrap.
Good Warps Bob

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2007 10:54PM

Mark thanks for the tip,
but I build my spinning rods with an offset handle and the measurement would change with each 1/2 revolution of the chuck.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: June 01, 2007 12:56AM

Mark - which new chuck is that? I've had the same problems with the big "gold frame" chuck that I has with the original little plastic-jawed one.

If you can tell me which one I should discuss with them, I'll give Bi=onnie a direct call. They are super folks.

thanks
Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: June 02, 2007 10:54AM

Russ,

There are only two. The plastic one and the aluminum one.

Have Bonnie put you through to Justin. He's in Technical support.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster