I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Ultralight from Fly blank?
Posted by: Brett Maruszak (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2007 05:46AM

I enjoy fishing with a fly rod, but prefer using an ultralight spinning rig. I'd like to get the action of a fly rod with a spinning rig and I'm considering using a fly rod blank to build an ultralight spinning outfit. Are there any reasons this would not work? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ultralight from Fly blank?
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2007 07:20AM

i have built several and they are a blast to fish. my favorite is to use an 8' 6wt into a spinning rod.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2007 07:23AM

It works great ... your warranty is gone though, so buy inexpensive blanks. Fly blanks make for some awesome inshore spinning outfits as well, and best of all they are super portable.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2007 08:12AM

I have built several spinnning rods from fly blanks, down to a 6'6" 2 wt. Pac Bay T2 built as an ultralight, works great for 2# test! It does void the warranty, but they do hold up well.

Have fun!!!!!

Marc

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 23, 2007 09:03AM

I'm doing one on a fast action 8wt right now for light inshore fishing and will probably do anothe down the road for a very portable ultra-light freshwater rig. Remember the rule of thumb is to divide the fly line weight by 16 to get the lure weight rating. My 8wt tests more like a 10wt with the CC system, so I'm expecting the rod should throw 5/8oz well. I want to do a really light 4pc down the road for throwing tiny spinners for panfish.

Posted by: Chase Foster (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 23, 2007 11:02AM

Hey Brett,
I have a group of guys who have built them on 7' 4wt's or 8' 5wt's, model #'s AMF704 and AMF805. I built one myself on the 6'6" 2wt and let me tell you it is a blast. IMO, it is the only way to target panfish and small bass for the ultimate light tackle fight. Good Luck with the build and have fun!

Chase Foster
American Tackle
www.americantackle.us

Posted by: Bill Hanneman (---.240.120.61.Dial1.Phoenix1.Level3.net)
Date: May 23, 2007 09:15PM

You can also go the other way. In Part 1 of the CCS articles, I wrote: "Along that line, consider my old fiberglass Shakespeare Wonder Rod. Designed as an ultralight spinning rod—at at time when fly fishers wanted slow action rods duplicating bamboo—it has a DBI = 6.6 / 75 and proves the design of fast action rods is nothing new.. I have happily fished with it for over 50 years.

Posted by: Ed Sinn (mrsinbad) (192.193.221.---)
Date: May 24, 2007 02:46PM

I built a 7 1/2' ultralight spinning rod from a 6 wt fly blank and it is such a blast on 2 lb test. This thing can cast a 1/4 oz Hopkins No-Eql a country mile! Good luck with yours and enjoy.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: May 25, 2007 01:49AM

I like to fish with long rods and for this reason a use fly rod blank to built my spiinning rods.I have built spinning rods on ALL STAR AUSTIN fly blank 4w,5w ,6w ,w8,ST.CROIX AVID W9.
I am very happy fishing on the bank (fresh and salt water) with this rods.
With the rod built on ALL STAR AUSTIN 9' W5 i can cast easy 1/32oz jigs and i was catching fish over 40lb. using 4lb. FIERLINE +leader SEAGUAR CARBON PRO 4LB.
95 % of my spinning rod was built by me on fly blanks 9' + extension.

Jean Scurtu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster