I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Determing Rod line & lure size
Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prov.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2007 08:13AM

I had a friend give me some rods that belonged to his grandfather. some have old grips and guides but some others are just blanks. They seem to be glass material. Since I build primarily fly rods , How do you determine what size line each blank can throw? These are very old one piece blanks and rods which I'm going to refurbish. I don't even know who mfg. these.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Determing Rod line & lure size
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 20, 2007 08:58AM

Dave, The best way is to read and use the CCS Data Site. Read all the information, go through the process step by step, and do it carefully and slow until you understand the process. It will give you the best information you can get on the rods and blanks with out having any labels.
Do not try to reformulate the process or out think it, unless your a Math genius, just go with what it tells you about the rods. Sometimes you look at the rods and then look at what the data tells you and you say to your self " NO WAY ", but trust the data it does not lie.

Posted by: stanford yerger (---.157.56.34.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: May 20, 2007 09:50AM

Dave, Tim is right on the mark but would also add, it's a good
idea to do CCS on rods that are labeled. You might say,
"I don't believe this".
Its all in RODMAKER MAGIZINE, thats why I'm a subscriber.

Posted by: John F Richardson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 20, 2007 10:35AM

Does anyone have a link to that website I would like to give it a try.

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: May 20, 2007 11:00AM

The CCS Site is at the top of the column on the left.

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prov.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 20, 2007 07:12PM

Ok , Thanks to everyone I'll go thru the process and see what my results are. I will take my time with it. I will keep an open mind!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster