I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod question
Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 18, 2007 03:51PM

If you get a few fuzzies while putting on a high build finish ,could you let the finish dry and then use some fine polishing compound on a buffing wheel to polish them out ? I know you'd have to be careful not to burn through but has anybody tried this ?
Thanks Terry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod question
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: May 18, 2007 04:43PM

Let the finish cure then take an exacto knife with a new blade then carefully slice the "fuzzies" off and then put on another coat of finish.

Date: May 18, 2007 05:05PM

Lance, I'm trying not to put another coat of finish on.
Thanks

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: May 18, 2007 05:19PM

Terry, if it is just "a few fuzzies" you could try to polish it out by hand. I would be very careful with a powered wheel because you will quickly create heat and soften the finish. Let us know how it turns out. The good news is that you can always put the second coat on if needed.

Chuck

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: May 18, 2007 05:26PM

Singe them with an alcohol lamp.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 18, 2007 06:22PM

Terry, In My Opinion,buffing would remove the shine. No matter how careful you were.You would never get the finish to look right. If I were fixing it, I would do what Lance suggested.
I would let my high build finish set in a bowl of hot water for a few minutes,get them both throughly warm . With the rod in the dryer, turning, put on another coat of finish quickly, with a brush. Let it turn. Don't put so much on that you have to wick it off. That coat of finish will be so thin ,you will not notice it has another coat. If you have some low build finish handy, that's even better. I did this very same thing today. It worked for me.
If it is a 2 piece rod . Do half of it today and the other half tomorrow. Unless you are a lot faster than me. In other words, you have to get the finish on before it decides to start setting up.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 18, 2007 06:35PM

Can you post a picture. A few fuzzies or stickups is one thing. If your thread tensioner frayed the thread or you have a bad spool of thread it will be best to cover it with more finish or remove and rewrap. Would it happen to be nylon A Gudebrod Dark Green? nylon.

Date: May 18, 2007 06:57PM

Thanks for your time and information. Bill it's just the fuzzies and not the thread. Thanks again
Terry

Posted by: eric zamora (216.101.134.---)
Date: May 18, 2007 07:03PM

if an alcohol lamp would work, so might a quick pass or two with a butane lighter.

or if you really do not want to put on another coat, use a magnifying glass of some sort and like lance said, use an Xacto knife, very sharp, new blade, to surgically slice off the fuzzies. if you're careful it probably would not be too noticeable to the naked eye, if at all.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 20, 2007 12:50AM

There is a kind of nail buffer that has an actual buffing material on one side. It will do the job you described above and will not dull the finish enough to be concerned about. On the other hand, while I understand you reluctance to use a second coat, this is one of those times when you might have to anyway. Just use a super-thin coat.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster