I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

PacBay Quad Dryer (Rodsmith)
Posted by: Paul McRoberts (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: May 17, 2007 05:13PM

I wanted to get some input from anyone who may use or have used this drying set up. It would be helpful for me to be able to do multiple pcs since the bamboo rods I build are 2pc with 2 tips. Any input from users? Good, bad, indifferent? Thanks, Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: PacBay Quad Dryer (Rodsmith)
Posted by: Chase Foster (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2007 05:30PM

We use the Flex Coat 4-rod dryer in the shop with self adjusting chucks. This is a great machine for multiple rod drying. Support wheels are on a slot system, so they easily move up and down to allow adjustments (sometimes a guide will be right at the wheel, so you can move it 4 or 5 inches so it rests on the blank). There are definately other ways to go about drying multiple rods, but it is an easy no-think set up that easily mounts to a wall.

Chase Foster
American Tackle
www.americantackle.us

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 17, 2007 10:32PM

Paul,

I sell both, but just used the Pac Bay set up as a "built in" on a 10' encolsed dryer using the motor/drive side and the support arms & rollers. The adjustment rails were actually custom made and built into the back of the cabinet because we needed a larger range for the support adjustments lengthwise.

So far it's probably got close to 100 hours on it and I really like it. I've cussed the chucks a couple of times when I turned it them wrong way, closing the jaws rather than opening them while juggling a 9' Jig Stick with 10 wet guides. My fault, not the dryers, BUT, the Flex Coat unit doesn't have jaws. Their "self-centering" rubber chuck/diaphram is super simple. Just stick the butt in and let it go.

I would suggest mounting the Pac Bay unit to either a wall rather than just setting in on the bench. It's tall and you could either knock it over, or just have it in the way sitting out on your bench. Putting it on a wall pretty much gets your rods out of harms way while the finish cures.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2007 10:29AM by Mark Griffin.

Posted by: Dave Gibson (---.metrocast.net)
Date: May 18, 2007 06:50AM

Paul,
I will second the nomination for the Pac bay dryer. We use them in our shop and have 2 years of continuous use out of them with nary a hitch. We also mount ours on the wall to save space in the shop, and over the last 2 years have put 1200 rods through the finishing process on them.

Dave Gibson

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: May 19, 2007 07:38AM

Paul , I agree with Chase the FlexCoat hsa been around a long time , easy set up ,easy to adjust

Robert

Posted by: Rich Kline (---.mercerville-31-33rs.nj.dial-access.att.net)
Date: May 20, 2007 08:02PM

Paul:

I purchased a Pac Bay dryer a couple of months ago, I used it many times with 2 or more rods, Worked very well, adjustable jaws, hold rods
butt tight, roller work well also, no complaints so far.

Rich Kline C.R.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster