I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reflective Materials
Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: May 17, 2007 10:56AM

Hey Everyone,

One of our most popular fishing spots in Texas is called PINS (Padre Island National Seashore). It is 62 miles of beach that is national park and completely unspoiled and undeveloped. They allow people to drive on this beach for its entire length. One of the things that we have to deal with is drunk people "booze cruising" at night and wiping out your spread of fishing rigs. So, one of the things that we have taken to doing is placing small bands of 3M reflective tape (I'm a 3M employee so I get it at our company store) around our pole holders and also around our fishing poles so these drunk folks won't plow into our rigs.

Now, one of my buddies that I'm building a surf rod for would like me to integrate a reflective material into a new build as opposed to making it an after-thought. That way it could be permanent and have epoxy over it. Maybe as an underwrap. First off, I'm wondering if anyone has experimented with any other sorts of reflective materials integrated into a new build. Is there any sort of reflective paints that I might be able to use under the guides ?

Thanks in advance for any ideas, Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reflective Materials
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 17, 2007 11:04AM

You might just take that same 3M tape and put it down where the butt wrap is going. Then do an open diamond or chevron over it, leaving plenty of room for the tape to show through. I doubt that the extra bit of weight is going to bother a long surf rod, particularly since it's so low and near the handle anyway.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: May 17, 2007 01:06PM

Madeira also makes a glow in the dark thread, in different colors, in the Poly Neon line of threads. I imagine the metallics are reflective to a certain extent. @#$%& had them.

Posted by: Craig Hardt (---.n0c9086.safeco.com)
Date: May 17, 2007 01:18PM

Did a little Googling and came upon Krylon "Reflect-A-Lite" paint. It is supposed to be clear so in theory could be applied over the entire rod blank but I have not used this product.

Description from one web page: "Krylon Reflect-A-Lite directly reflects flashlight or headlights, making items extraordinarily visible in the dark or under emergency lighting conditions."

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: May 17, 2007 02:09PM

MAybe take your roll of reflective tape, a ruler, and an exacto blade, adn cut really thin strips of that material out. THen you'd be able to wrap it around the blank for an underwrap, adn maybe even spiral it up teh blank between guides...provided you don't mind coating the entire blank with epoxy Florida style.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2007 03:58PM

Some 15 years ago while browsing through the stock of a surplus store I came across a small 3oz container of reflective glass beads. The beads were as small as large dust particles and in bulk appeared not very reflective. After applying a coat of finish to a 3" section of the rod tip I dusted the material onto the still sticky finish with a salt shaker. In daylight the treated was hardly noticeable, but at night the treated area reflected light brightly! I was rather pleased with the results.

To get you started do a google search for "ROLCO Reflective Beads" and you'll get some hits on just this one brand of glass beads. There are others...

Lou

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2007 04:00PM by Lou Reyna.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 17, 2007 05:40PM

you want a laser rod, from our own willie wiggins: [wylie_rods.tripod.com]

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 17, 2007 06:00PM

Jesse Buky uses 3M 1/16 and 1/8 auto trim reflective tape for trim bands on nearly all his rods. He sold me a drawer full of the stuff to make builds easier.

Posted by: Robert Heaton (---.bri.connect.net.au)
Date: May 18, 2007 04:34AM

What is the principle behind these Laser Rods?
How do they work?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster