I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What does one need for fishing in Hawaii?
Posted by: Adam Brown (---.direcpc.com)
Date: May 17, 2007 07:25AM

Hello good folks of the Rodboard!

I am a trout and bass bum from Pennsylvania headed for grad school this fall (MS botany) and one of the schools to which I have been accepted is University of Hawaii in Honolulu. I certainly hope to work some fishing time into my weekends but have zero saltwater experience and so do not know where to begin. I enjoy both fly, bait and lure fishing and the heaviest equipment I have are 8 & 10 wt fly rods (both 9’, the 10 is my first build) and a 7’ 8-15 lb. Shakespeare “tiger spinning” combo. What of these are worth taking, and what else do I need? What would be good for bait and lure fishing in the surf? I will not be able to transport a large number of rods and so the ones I do take need to be versatile. As a student money is certainly an issue, but at the same time I appreciate the value of a quality tool and am willing to save for a while. One thing I will add is that I am not a fan of the extremely high modulus blanks. While working part time at a small fly shop I have had the opportunity to cast a large variety of equipment and the supper fast rods do cast like a dream, but to be practical a fishing rod must also be a rugged field weapon and rods brittle enough to snap while casting in the yard (I once saw this happen to a ~$900-$1,000 fly rod) just do not cut it with me. Anyway, thank you all ahead of time for helping to reduce my ignorance. Adam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What does one need for fishing in Hawaii?
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 17, 2007 08:54AM

I would get on the Batson website (Rainshadow link to left) and click through the links to their Hawaii vendors, then call Roy (the shop bears his name). Super-nice guy and a wealth of information about how they fish there. He can probably also give you very specific information based on where you tell him you will be fishing. Don Becker of Don's Tackle (also left) lives there as well I think. Call them tonight and they'll be working in the afternoon (~6hr difference?).

Posted by: Erik Osterby (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: May 17, 2007 10:59AM

The fly rods would come in handy as there is some Bonefish fishing here. The guys that fish from shore use big spinning and casting rods, rods that will throw up to 6 ounces of lead. Send me an email if you like. I'm on Oahu.

Erik

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: May 17, 2007 08:45PM

Hi Adam,

As mentioned, Oio (bonefish) are a great sport fish. I have seen people use 50# mono and JigMaster size reels to go after these fish. There are other more sporting alternatives. You do not need to spend a lot of money to have a lot of fun. The spinning tackle you mention will be fine for targeting smaller fish (under 5#).

For bait casting, you will need something a little longer. About 13' to 15'. Reels go from the Penn 525 to 114 HLW (wide 6/0) or a Newell equivalent. There is no need to rush out and make any purchases.

For fly fishing, bring along your heaviest rod. A shop called Nervous Waters specializes in this area. You may want to touch base with them a little later on.

Please refer to my website for the following links:

[www.donstacklehawaii.com]

Retailer Stores, Roy's (Leeward Oahu), Nanko's (Windward Oahu), Brian's (Honolulu), each shop has its pros and cons.
Message Boards, Hawaii Fishing News (for Hawaii state records), Ulua Fishing (message board)

Roy has the longest hours of operation.
9:30 am to 8:00 pm monday thru Friday
9:30 am to 6:00 pm on Saturday

My hours are a little strange, so feel free to call anytime.

Don

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster