I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Milling a reel seat
Posted by: Darrell Lapointe (---.pppoe-dynamic.nb.aliant.n)
Date: May 15, 2007 05:53PM

Today I received some rod building supplies and to my surprise the reel seat is one that requires a milled insert. By that I mean an insert with a flat channel that the reel foot sits in. Does anyone have a link to some online information about how this is done? I turn my own reel seats, and I do have a router but I don't have much experience with the router and I have no idea how to go about making this channel.
Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Milling a reel seat
Posted by: Rodger Palmer (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 15, 2007 06:49PM

Darrell....Take this as FWIW ok. I have successfully used an end mill in my drill press to mortise the grove in reel seats. It's a little time consuming since I make many shallow cuts that overlap each other. I use a machinest's vice to control the movement across the end mill, but it could also be done with an ordinary vice moved by hand and guided by two strips clamped on either side of the vice on the dp table.

email me for more info if you'd like.

cheers....Rodge

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: May 15, 2007 07:10PM

Bob Venneri makes a router bit just for this purpose, a modified 5/8" moritising bit (or half bull nose).
He also makes a special jig for using it to make reel seet inserts.

I purchased this bit and I am currently working on my own jig to do this.

I know others on the board make the mortise manually, either by carefully carving or sanding the groove, but I've not done it that way.

Walt

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: May 16, 2007 05:37AM

Use a finger nail bit (half radius) , 1/2" diameter bead. set up a jig with a bolt and nut to hold the insert as you pass it thru the bit.. I am assuming you have your router in a router table.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: May 18, 2007 10:40AM

I made a little wooden saddle that slides along the lathe bed. It holds a dremel tool mounted so that the point of the bit cuts. I use a router bit in it and rough out the groove for the insert while the insert is still mounted in the lathe. A little sanding to even out the little flat spots from each pass of the router bit finishes it. A little slow, but it also works very well with figured wood and bad grain direction that I would be afraid to tackle with a fingernail bit in a router table.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster