I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tru-Oil gloss finish routine
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 15, 2007 08:44AM

I've read about how some of you guys are able to get a nice high gloss finish with Tru-Oil. In the past, I've applied it by hand, 1-3 coats or so, just wiping it onto the grip and that was about it. Gives a nice satin finish, but I'd like to know how you guys are getting a high gloss with it. Can someone give me a quick rundown? I'm assuming it's applied on the lathe, maybe some wetsanding or buffing involved? Thanks for any help!

Rich

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tru-Oil gloss finish routine
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.boeing.com)
Date: May 15, 2007 08:55AM

Rich, just keep adding coats to build it up. I like to wet sand or use a bit of steel wool between coats to knock off the gloss and any dust. No buffing needed on the last coat. You'll have a real nice gloss.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 15, 2007 09:03AM

Mick nailed it . Just rub it in with your finger, wool it between coats. I don't do it on the lathe. The more coats you add, the prettier and smoother it gets.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 15, 2007 10:19AM

Sounds good - any ballpark on how many coats it takes to get that shine?

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 15, 2007 10:21AM

Just like Mick and Jay. Just keep adding coats. I apply thin with finger and have used as many as 8-10 coats. Don't know if it makes any difference at all but I sometimes use a soft cloth at high speed on the lathe. It seems to heat it and force it into the grip (just a guess)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2007 11:09AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: May 15, 2007 10:44AM

The @#$%& kit with Stain, Clear Sealer, True Oil, Satin Conditioner and Wax comes with a detailed set of instructions for the optimum use of the products for finishing gun stocks. This process will give a high gloss to cork and burl quickly with few coats of True Oil.

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 15, 2007 12:43PM

Rick,
Just to chime in on what the others have said; I usually use triple ought steel wool between the first few coats, which dulls the finish, and then apply a small amount with my fingers until it is rubbed in( there will be some residue left). Then I use a coffee filter, because it has no lint, and buff the finish between each coat. The more coats you apply the deeper the grain is and the more gloss the wood has. Hope this helps.
Lynn
Santa Rosa, CA

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 15, 2007 12:57PM

Like Lynn, I use 000 steel wool between coats and then clean off the residue. I don't use anything any courser than 000 wool.
Forgot to mention the 000 wool Lynn. That is very important , to me anyway.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2007 12:59PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prov.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 15, 2007 09:59PM

Birchwood Casey does make a sealer you can put on before the finish coat of tru oil. Then you only need to put 1-3 coat of oil on. I sand with 3000 grit paper between coats.

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 16, 2007 12:53PM

Jay,
Sorry I didn't make my statement clear but I don't use steel wool between coats after the first few coats. You won't get the shine if you keep knocking it down with the steel wool. I read that some use the steel wool between every coat but I never got the shine and grain out of the wood until I quit using the steel wool. I use 1500 grit paper to prepare the wood so it is very smooth so, in my mind anyway, there is no reason to keep using abrasives. The Tru Oil will give a truly glossy finish if you just keep rubing it in and buffing it with the coffee filters. And the grain will pop out and deepen with every additional coat you give it. I just finished a birch bark handle that is accented with cherry burl and it has a very glossy finish. I am a little concerned that the handle will be slippery when it gets wet but I have read that Tru Oil treated handles aren't slick so I am going to have to test that one out when I get the rod finished. Anyway, I hope this helps.
Lynn
Santa Rosa, CA

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster