I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

RS SU1145
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 10, 2007 03:28PM

Thinking about this for the next light beach stick. To be used by Dad (me) until the kids wander down to take it from me after breakfast. Wondering:

What is the sweet spot? I know it's rated 1/2 to 1-1/2.
Will it lob 3oz okay?
How would you set it up conventional? I'm thinking 18" grip to back of seat; size 25 casting guide down to size 8 or 7 running guides.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RS SU1145
Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: May 10, 2007 04:16PM

Marty, I've got 3 of these rods and I'm about to build a 4th. That is a fantastic light surf rod. I believe that those blanks are rated 1 - 3oz. (at least the blanks that I've got are) and the sweet spot is 2oz. That being said we throw up to 4oz. with that blank all of the time. I'm wondering if you some how got a different model 1145 than what I've got. They aren't listed on the Batson site any more so I can't see what they have them rated for.

As for the setup, ours are all spinners so I'm not sure that I could be of much help with the conventional setup but will throw out my suggestions. For the butt length all of ours are measured from armpit to where we grip the reel seat. If I was building it conventional the center of the reel seat would be where my thumb ended up. This seems to give me a good balance of comfort as well as a butt length long enough to get good leverage on. 18" seems pretty short. I'm a short guy 5'8" and my grip is 23". For the guide size it will depend on what type of knotts you are dealing with. We only use 12lb line with a 20lb flouro shock leader so our knotts are really small. You really have some flexibility with this rod in that it will handle the larger guides but you could opt to go with the smallest lightest guides that would pass your knotts, even single foot guides (which I'm putting on the one I am about to build). I just finished building an SU1387 with a 25 casting guide and I'm thinking you might want to go with a 20 and then move down to 8 running guides. But, I'm just guessing since I haven't built it in a conventional setup before.

Good luck with the build, if your blank is the same as the ones I've got you will LOVE that rod.

Posted by: Scott Wood (216.195.222.---)
Date: May 10, 2007 05:35PM

They are on the batson site - rated at 1/2 - 1 1/2 oz. Mine likes the top end of that range.

Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: May 11, 2007 08:44AM

Sorry, I see it on the site now. I was looking up at the top of the list for it. I'm not sure that those are the same blanks as the ones I've got. The three rods that I already have built were made about 2-3 years ago but I just purchased the 4th one at the rod show. I looked at them last night and they appear to be the same blank with the same flex so I'm not sure if the blank listed on the site is the same as the ones that I've got. I'm sure that the first 3 blanks I've got were rated to 3oz and they do very well with that wieght. I wonder if they changed them????

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster