I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Woven cord handle
Posted by: Charles Horan (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 08, 2007 09:49PM

Has anyone here ever tried weaving or braideing a cord handle on a saltwater rod? In other words, plaiting it or weaving it sort of like one would expect a whip handle or lariat to look. I've seen photos of a couple of old rods like that, but haven't been able to find any more information. I'd like to try it.

So far, the only thing I've done with cord (other than just wrap it like a guide wrap) is to tie overhand knots in a spiral up the blank, like you see with wrapped pliers on occasion. (By the way, if anyone would like to know how to do this with a pair of fishing pliers, let me know and I'll try to explain it or try to send a photo of some, if my daughter will allow me to use her digital camera).

Thanks,

Charles Horan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Woven cord handle
Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 09, 2007 12:00AM

Charles,

I am not sure if this is exactly what you had in mind but volume 9 issue 3 of RodMaker has an article on cord handles. It looks like the cord is wrapped over the top of a cork handle that has been recessed to accept the cord. Might be worth getting a copy if it sounds like this is what you had in mind.

Lynn
Santa Rosa, CA

Date: May 09, 2007 12:32AM

No, Lynn, that's not what I had in mind, though this is a great approach. I have that volume and greadly admired the work shown. I'm talking about actually weaving or braiding several strands of cord (like you'd braid a ponytail) on the blank, not wrapping it around the blank (or cork) as is the standard practice. Think of a bullwhip handle, or something akin to that. Or remember the old "maypole" where many strands are placed on top of the pole and then interwoven down the pole until the pole is covered with a criss cross pattern of some sort? I think it would be a great look and quite functional if I could figure it out.

Charles Horan

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: May 09, 2007 12:38AM

Have made a few hackamores in my younger days, it's leather weaved over a wire loop. I'm sure some of the maritime weaves you see in the books would also work. I'm sure this info would be fairly easy to come by on the web, a good bookstore, or sailing shop.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: May 09, 2007 05:27AM

What about the "TURKS HEAD KNOT" you could build up a handle with that knot.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: May 09, 2007 09:34AM

Fred is right: do a search here for "Turks Head" and you'll find a few threads with ideas for braided cord handles. You can also google the term and you'll find all kinds of pages on the knot, and other associated nautical knots.

I build primarily surf rods, and I use cord for all of them. I played with the idea of doing the same thing you're talking about, Charles, and scrapped it because my time is limited, and doing a turks head grip would have just taken too long. But I think that if you have the time to try it, the resulting grip would be spectacular, and would be the best kind of feature on a custom rod -- something that you can't get anywhere else.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.pacbell.net)
Date: May 09, 2007 10:49AM

I am working on a couple of surf rods where I plan to do open fade wraps with cord. Should work fine if you use the right diameter of cord for the job.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: May 09, 2007 12:30PM

I've done handles with 4-strands. I lost my way big-time when trying 6 and up, and went back to 4.
With 2 colours, one can do either a diamond pattern, or a spiral pattern (candy-cane) depending on the first weave's colour layout.
The diamond is the hardest, as it looks hokey if the diamonds are not aligned straight.
Candy cane makes no never mind.

Posted by: Mark Vogels (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 09, 2007 03:05PM

I just posted some pic's under grips, handles and reel seats of some butt cord "weaves" I did some years ago - and never again. My hands were raw when I finished.

Marks corded handles!!!
Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 09, 2007 04:13PM

I've seen some of Marks cord wrapped handles in person, never seen anything like it before or after. Just outstanding work!!!

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: May 09, 2007 05:48PM

Mark beautiful work on the rope wraps. I've never seen anything like that. I would imagine that you were cross eyed as well.

Posted by: Tom White (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 09, 2007 07:54PM

Charles,
Check out Clifford Ashley's THE ASHLEY BOOK OF KNOTS. It's 620 pages have not only every conceivable knot, hitch, bend, and splice, but loads of ornamental coverings- hitching, grafting, coachwhipping, sinnets, plaiting, you name it. It's a fascinating book.
Tom White

Posted by: Ken Bush (---.dsl.sndg02.pacbell.net)
Date: May 10, 2007 01:35AM

Anthony at Apocalypse13 Custom Rods has done several incredible cord wraps on his jigsticks..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2007 03:15AM by Ken Bush.

Date: May 10, 2007 01:59AM

Wow, I just went and looked at the pics Mark posted...That IS incredible work. I need to learn to do that!

Date: May 10, 2007 07:51PM

Thank you all for the great information and photos. The handle work inthe photos forwarded/posted in response to my inquiry is truly inspiring. When I can, I will order the book mentioned in this thread. I think this type of cord work is overlooked as a source what can be really great looking and totally functional handles. I'd love to see guys like Billy Vivona and Doc Ski and the many many other thread artists on the board give some of this a shot. In my copy of "Advanced Rodbuilding" book there's a bit of this sort of cord work, but not much. Any other suggestions of sources for learning these techniques would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again to the many who responded!

Charles Horan

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 11, 2007 02:37AM

Ken B.
Please post photos in the photo section and not on the Forum.

When your photo posted here is discovered it will be removed
as photos use to much bandwidth (or something like that)

Thanks

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: May 11, 2007 03:17AM

Thanks Ray... I deleted the photo. I was wondering why no one had posted them here... Now if I can just get around to trying to upload some pics...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster