I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

One coat or two over CP?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: May 06, 2007 11:29AM

I have not been a big user of color preserver, but considering it for some new rods. Just wondering if most guys still use two coats of finish over CP on guide wraps, or just one.

Thanks,
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One coat or two over CP?
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 06, 2007 12:41PM

Hi Mark

I usually use at least two coats sometimes more depending on the brand. So far I am having pretty good luck with two coats of Diamondite. If you are using NCP you dont need any but watch for bubbles.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 06, 2007 12:41PM

Hi Mark

I usually use at least two coats sometimes more depending on the brand. So far I am having pretty good luck with two coats of Diamondite. If you are using NCP you dont need any but watch for bubbles.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: May 06, 2007 01:44PM

Like Doc says watch out for bubbles when not using a C/P, Where the bubbles come from in many cases is it is theair that is trapped by the threads escaping. C/P well encapsulate these bubbles so they wont rise to the top.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2007 03:28PM

I've had no issues with one coat of finish over wraps with CP, but add the second if there are any imperfections on the first one.

Terry

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 06, 2007 03:38PM

I'm like Terry; I can usually get a nice, even coat with just one coat. When I personally don't get it on the first try, I am disappointed in myself and strive for a one-shot deal on my guide wrap coatings.

But it's up to each rod builder how they do this and it somewhat depends on the brand/type of finish that's used, too. There's so many different properties with the various brands and types of each brand out there. For example in just one company's finishes in my shop, I have 3 different U40 LS Supreme finishes + their Permagloss, too.

It's an individual choice, as are many things in rod building. Do what works best for you and the finish that you're using today.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: May 07, 2007 11:05AM

I use three or four coats of finish over CP. I use HobbyPoxy, which is no longer available but I have enough to last me awhile. I like the wraps to look close to what you would get with several coats of varnish. I don't care for the football-shaped wraps so I like to use several thin coats.

Posted by: Joe Kassuba (---.dhcp.knwk.wa.charter.com)
Date: May 07, 2007 11:56PM

TWO coats for U40 Color Lock and you can always sleep on it and not worry. Follow the instructions for U40 Color Lock. If it going to set on the shelf or bench for long periods simply stand it on the top for a few days and then stand it on the bottom and keep doing this as it will help keep the solids in suspension and increase shelf life. If it freezes through it away and get new.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: May 08, 2007 12:41AM

We do two. It just seems to work better for us, regardless of the brand of finish. I wish I had the controlled conditions (and tghe skill) to do it in one, but two thin ones usually gets us what we were after.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster