I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Think you've had a bad day?
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.78.193.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 12:25AM

Without going into graphic detail, my son had a bathroom "issue". A pretty big issue. During much vigorous plunging, and making a terrible mess, I seem to have blown out a large portion of the wax seal between the toilet and the drain pipe. The reason I know this is because there was significant spill-over.. significant... that went down the outside of the drain pipe, pouring over everything underneath it in the basement. I'll give you one guess what lies directly underneath the drain.

That's right... my bench.

Use your imagination. I promise you that it's worse than you can come up with.

The only positive note is that after much effort, I was finally able to amuse myself with all possible wise-elbow remarks... "Boy, what a crappy workstation".. "This is really crappy cork".... "Talk about crappy thread"... "This is one crappy crappie rod"... tools, optivisor, radio, CD's, chair, ... (I have a great imagination... I've went through them all)

That gap in your buttwrap or that slight wave in your finish? Remember my motto... "Things are never so bad that they can't get worse".

Happy weekend to those of you who will be building rods with Rodmaker opened to page 10.... Me? I'll be cueing up my "This Old House" videos...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Think you've had a bad day?
Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 05, 2007 12:36AM

Well I guess it bring new meaning to the Saying "Stuff happens" . Same type of thing happened while I was stationed in New York expept I was lucky and my table was on the OTHER end of the room and clean up was much easier. At least you dont have a Crappy attitude.(couldnt pass it up.)

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.78.193.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 12:46AM

hahaha Doc!

I've learned long ago to laugh at my misfortunes. The only people who think that the Luck of The Irish is a good thing.. aren't Irish. I also have some pollock in me too, so you know how that goes.. LOL

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 12:59AM

Just remember flush before work
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 01:53AM

Good luck to you Mick!

Ones problems can seem pretty overwhelming until one sees someone else's disaster!
Thanks for making my problems much smaller!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2007 02:04AM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 01:57AM

Does this mean you'll be specializing in Crappie rods from now on?

Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully your work area will end up even better than before and smelling as sweet as a flower.

David

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 02:07AM

As long as the 'flower' isn't Skunk Cabbage. LOL. Ralph

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: edward torres (69.153.3.---)
Date: May 05, 2007 03:18AM

Sorry to hear this happened to you Mick, does this mean someones gettin' a clumpy stinken crappie rod?(lol). Couldn't help it, Best wishes. Eddie

Rod, Reels and 18 wheels.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 03:21AM

Remember eventualy good things come from miss fortune
Good Wraps Bob Exolination my ex wife was a bad miss fortune. Karen my wife of 7years was the best thing that ever happened to me, plus my 4 kids

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2007 05:19AM

This should make for some interesting "inlays" and and thread dye patterns popping up in Bobs photo gallery in the near future........LOL!!!!

Im glad you have a sense of humor....I tend to laugh at my misfortunes in life as well, but that one would have had me in the corner curled up in the fetal position....humming to myself with a blank stare.......

Posted by: Scott Kinney (67.189.48.---)
Date: May 05, 2007 05:23AM

Well, ****.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 06:48AM

Are you trying to create a new MArbling method?

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 07:40AM

Oh man, that is crappy! Your right, I cannot imagine that situation. Sorry to here about this one.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 07:44AM

When it was all heading for the workshop below, did "it" ever hit a large moving fan?

Mike

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: May 05, 2007 09:05AM

Hey Mick,
You should probably do an article on your new version of "marbelizing." Bet Putter hasn't done that version before :)

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 11:36AM

and rocking......or rolling in the fetal position............
Hang in there Mick and you will(hopefully) come up on top smelling like a rose.
Chuck

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: May 05, 2007 12:17PM

Good grief, Mick. What a rotten experience that was. Lotsa luck getting everything back in order.

Bleach helps a lot with this type of thing.

In my area of town, there's a storm sewer tied into the actual sewer. This is against all codes, but the city won't fix it. During a BAD rainstorm, my basement drain line backed up into the basement, bringing everything that was in my line out to the main right back into my basement.

After cleaning that mess up once (over a foot deep), I installed a new drain (chiseled out the concrete, cut the drain line and installed this) with a threaded fitting in the bottom of the drain. There's a 2" plastic plug threaded into that at all times to fix that crappy experience.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Chuck Ungs (---.linncounty.org)
Date: May 05, 2007 01:53PM

Just remember this... quote - "That which hits the fan, is not always evenly distributed!" My apologies for your pain - never had my rod building stuff downstairs but I have had our septic back up into the basement before - can't say I recommend it. Good luck with your repairs and clean up... Chuck Ungs

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2007 02:06PM

it could be a lot worse. i am in the insurance business. i had one client that went to work in the morning and came home to a flooded house from a bathroom sink upstairs where a feeder pipe had broken. over $200,000 damage. they hired their own contractor. turned out to be the contractor from @#$%&. they lived in a hotel for six months. you got away without too much damage.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: May 05, 2007 02:08PM

You know the guy that invented those things was named Crapper? Hope things go better the the next few days Mick.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster