I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Off topic...fly reel spool diameter
Posted by: Patrick W. Heintz (---.aurorahealthcare.org)
Date: May 04, 2007 10:46AM

I just had my first taste of saltwater flyfishing, and am comtemplating completing my arsenal to include a 12 wt rod. In looking at some reels, the Abel Super 12 seemed particularly large and "bulky" at a reported 4.45 inch spool diameter, as opposed to 4.25" on a Nautilus 12, which has similar backing capacity. Out of curiosity, I then measured the spool diameter on some of my reels, and was surprised to get 3.56" (3 9/16") on my Abel Super 8, which is listed by Abel as 3.9". Both my Nautilus 10 and Cimarron 4 came up a good 1/16 inch short of the manufacturer-reported spool diameters. The Abel discrepancy seems significant to me, unless I somehow ended up with a Super 5 or 7 that is mislabelled. So, before I call Abel and start asking questions, I was wondering if anybody with Abel Super 8's and 12's can verify the measurement I got for the 8, and tell me what is the actual spool diameter for the 12?

I don't know how these companies calculate backing capacity (i.e. do they actually fill some spools, or do they make a determination based on expected volume going by their spool diameter and width measurements), but if they use the latter technique and their measurements are off, they could really be overestimating backing capacity. I put the backing on some of these reels myself, and they didn't seem to be holding as much as I expected, but I didn't have a sophisticated way of measuring how much I was putting on.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Off topic...fly reel spool diameter
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 04, 2007 11:45AM

I don't own one, so someone else will have to provide that measurement for you.

A lot going on here. First, good that you go by spool diameter and not arbor diameter. The arbor size has zero to do with retrieve ratio. Nobody goes fishing with an empty reel so arguments about "large arbors" and increased retrieve ratio are pretty silly. It is the spool, at whatever capacity at the moment, that determines how much line you pick up per turn of the reel handle.

Most companies consider a full spool spool to be one that has been filled to within 1/8th inch of the spool rim. But some may just measure the OD of the spool, rim to rim, and let it go at that. I doubt there is any standard for spool measurements from company to company. You'll just have to go look, and measure.

Also keep in mind that a wider spool will lose spool diameter more slowly as line pays out. This is important if you think you might be fishing for larger, hard running fish. As the line on the spool is reduced, drag pressure increases, so having a more constant diameter can be helpful as the drag pressure will be more consistent.

Posted by: Michael A Taylor (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2007 02:49PM

I have maybe a half dozen Abel Super Eights and Abel 3's which are based on the same frame just the spools are different. The Super 8 has a larger arbor than does the model 3. The reason for the large arbor, after talking to Steve Abel, was the fact that most big game or saltwater anglers had begun to use Spectra or Spiderwire for backing to improve line capacity and to increase line retrieval rate. The space the that arbor takes up is the area where guys would load 30# test dacron on the reel before topping the reel off with Spectra. Since the diameter of 50# test is about 1/2 the diameter of 30# test dacron when a fish runs off say 100 yds. of spectra the diameter of the spool is nowhere reduced like it would be if you were using dacron backing thus the quicker line retrieval. The super 12 is probably the best tarpon/big game fly reel on the planet. I load 100 yds of 30 dacron and 500 yards of 50 spectra plus a 13 billfish line on mine or load 600yds of spectra and a 12wt tarpon line. I measured the diameter of a Super 8 spool and it's 3.9 the Super is 4.5 as measured with a dial caliper is 4.45. The best way to load backing on a fly reel is to load the flyline on the reel first then load the backing. Remove everything an just put the backing back on the reel that way you will know exactly how much backing the reel will hold without the guess work. The line capacity of the Abel reels are pretty close to factory specifications using Scietific Anglers fly lines and Scietific Anglers white dacron backing(the colored backing is bigger in diameter and will change capacity). A word of note the Abel 3 has a greater line capacity than the Billy Pate Tarpon reel. Go figure that one out.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 05, 2007 12:54AM

Might I suggest that you take a look at the Van Staal series of reels. In my opinion, these are the very best drags (and "innards").

As to the original question, Michael's right.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: James Smith (134.179.104.---)
Date: May 07, 2007 10:21AM

As other people posting response have suggested, it all depends on what you are going to be doing with that big 12 wt. stick. If you read posts on popular saltwater forums like the flyfisherman.com and Dan Blanton bulletin boards, you get the feeling that people are buying reels that hold a lot more backing than they will ever spool off the reel (me included). Dont forgot though, that the line that goes with that big 12 wt. stick you want to cast is beefy. It eats up lots of space on your reel. If you want to be prepared with 300 or more yards of backing, you are going to need a reel intended for a 12 wt rod. I tried putting a Nautilus 8 on my 12 weight, and could not get enough backing to feel comfortable tarpon fishing on the ocean flats in the Keys. Why are you getting the 12 wt to begin with? Might as well get the whole set up. Like rods, there are a plethora of choices in suitable reels. So many, and so well made, you can find a dozen that are right for your application, and then let it fall to subjective things. The major names are doing a great job on service. All this is my opinion, by the way, you will see other ideas to the contrary, and there is no problem with that. For lots of information, try the Dan Blanton bulletin board, www.danblanton.com (have to use the annoying "www", by the way). For planning purposes, you can figure 180% more 50 pound GSP backing than 30 pound dacron. This is consistent with the tables posted by most reel manufacturers. It worked out exactly right for me earlier this month when I bought a new reel.

Posted by: Patrick W. Heintz (---.aurorahealthcare.org)
Date: May 08, 2007 09:46AM

My apologies (and thanks) to those who responded to this thread. I initially measured the Abel reel at least 5 times, and never noticed that the diameter of the spool side is larger than the frame-side diameter. Therefore, Abel's measurements for reel spool diameter are dead-on. Its the other brands that come up 1/8 to 1/16 inch short.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster