I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is there such a tool ?
Posted by: Charles Glotfelty (---.msn.com)
Date: May 03, 2007 08:22AM

I was wondering if there is a tool for holding guides while grinding the feet on them. Be sides our fingers. I have sanded my finger tips too many times now and am looking for a tool of sorts to hold the guides while grinding the feet on them. I can't find such a great tool but maybe someone knows where to find one or can invent one for me. I don't want to use vicegrips which could scratch the finish on the guides. If this sounds like a question from a newbie builder it is, and I am.
Thanks for any input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is there such a tool ?
Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2007 08:39AM

Charles,

Here is one that might do the trick [shop.mudhole.com]

Lynn

Posted by: John Scarborough (---.244.57.30.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: May 03, 2007 08:41AM

One that comes to mind is called a "Pin Vise." Tool Makers/Machinists use them to hold small parts when hand working........I have several of varies sizes, but they were purchased 40 plus years ago. I think one of the vendors/sponsors on the left carry a similar tool.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: May 03, 2007 09:14AM

Charles- I use little nylon bolts from my local Ace hardware. They make several sizes. I just slip the guide onto the bolt with the leg of the guide extending off the head end of the bolt. Some guys use a nylon nut to hold the guide onto the bolt, but I just pin the guide against the head of the bolt with my fingers and grind away. Works like a charm and is very quick. I can prep a set of guides in just a few minutes. I also sand the bottoms of the guides lightly with 220 grit paper to take off any burrs, and on larger guides I will take a chainsaw file to the bottom to create a hollow that allows the bottom of the guide to closely match the curvature of the blank.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2007 09:15AM

I use locking forceps (used for hook removal in fly fishing) to hold guides while grinding. Most are narrow enough where you can hold the foot of the guide instead of the frame so no worry on scratches.

Terry

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: May 03, 2007 10:02AM

the link that lynn provided is the one I've seen

I just put some duct tape over my fingertips and go to it

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 03, 2007 10:16AM

Like Rich, I use Nylon bolts. Quick, cheap and easy - even on little fly guiders [www.rodbuilding.org]

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 03, 2007 10:30AM

I'm with Terry: locking forceps

DR

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink)
Date: May 03, 2007 10:51AM

We use forceps with a small bit of rubber tubing over each jaw to protect the guide finish.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 03, 2007 05:10PM

Charles

I just used the Mudhole guide holder for the first time on a set of Fuji Alconites (BYAG & BLAG's) down to size 6. It's worth every penny to me. I'm sure you could make a similar holder from hardware store parts for a lot less $ but if you don't want to run around and burn $3 a gal. gas to find the parts the Mudhole guide holder works great! It "stops the pain".

Rog

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: May 03, 2007 05:24PM

locking forceps for me too.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: May 03, 2007 05:29PM

The handle from an "xacto knife" works well too.

Posted by: Charles Glotfelty (---.msn.com)
Date: May 03, 2007 08:37PM

Thank You gentilmen and my fingers Thank You !
I'll try the gripper from Mudhole and a set of forceps from the local flea market with tubing.

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: May 04, 2007 09:34AM

Don't Grind.

File.

My pet hate is grinders.

Please hand file your guides, the little bit of extra time is worth it.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 05, 2007 02:59PM

I am with you Paul ! Something that small, I'm going to file it. I can control my file. I know I will not take too much off or accidentally touch the wrong place.
I have worked with grinders all my life and am very good with them,even the smallest grinders. But on guides, I had rather use an 8 " fine cut knife file with my little nylon holder I made like Barkleys. And I'm not in that big of a hurry.

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (---.prem.tmns.net.au)
Date: May 05, 2007 06:28PM

AS Jay says, being accurate and in control is very important..

But my main hate of grinders is the heating of the metal of the guide feet.

Heating metal with a grinder alters the metal. (I hope there is a metalurgist on the board watching this).

There are special grinding stones about tio help, but why not just file?.

Good luck with your question.

Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: john channer (---.228.156.173.Dial1.Denver1.Level3.net)
Date: May 07, 2007 10:38PM

There are two brands of snake guides(that I know of) that come with what they call "preground" feet which cured whatever urge I ever had to grind the feet on a guide. I use a mediuim grit diamond file, hold it still and move the guide, it's fast anc controlable and you don't get the burned and mangled feet that a grinder can leave you with. Note, the guides I mention are NOT from Snake Brand, they are as close to perfect as guides are going to get, I just touch up the ends a bit when I use 3/0 or finer thread, they are good to go with 2/0.
john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster