I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best CP for Madeia ?
Posted by: Charles Glotfelty (---.msn.com)
Date: May 02, 2007 10:21AM

I did a search but couldn't find any thread stating which CP works best with Madeira Polyneon thread.
Can anyone tell me which CP you have had the best results with before I try one and don't get good results.
Thank You for any help, Charlie G.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best CP for Madeia ?
Posted by: Grant Darby (169.204.109.---)
Date: May 02, 2007 11:11AM

Any of them will work, use the one you are familar with. I use U-40 and it might turn Maderia just a bit darker than some of the others, but with all their colors I just lighten up a shade or two. If in doubt with the CP, do some tests.

Posted by: mike harris (63.117.196.---)
Date: May 02, 2007 12:17PM

I have been happy with the rusults I got with U-40, but I havent tried any others.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2007 02:33PM

After having used Gudebrod 811 for some years, I have turned away from it in favor of something I think is much better - the Swifty CP. Although it's intended to be used with their Diamondite finish, it seems to work well with the various epoxies I've tried. It's very thin and easy to manage. I am, however, using a full strength two coats applied about 2 hours apart.

I couldn't guarantee you it would be the best thing on Maderia, but can't imagine why it wouldn't work. A bottle couldn't cost very much, why not do some test wraps and try it.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: May 02, 2007 02:50PM

Diamondite works well. You do need two flood coats full strength. Let it dry between coats. If you have a weave or cross wrap that has a lot of thread stacked one on top of the other you may want to let it dry longer than a couple hours to be sure it's dry before applying the next coat or finish. I have been using Diamondite since I did some testing and so far it's the best when it comes to not having that snow that shows on black.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (66.252.177.---)
Date: May 02, 2007 03:23PM

The swifty Diamondite does seem to darken the threads a little more than 811.Actually a lot more in tests I`ve done but I do like the way it works. Maybe Andy Dear will get a Threadmaster formula that passes his muster and we can debate the whole CP subject yet another time.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 02, 2007 04:13PM

I just got a few new bottles of 811, and I dunno something seemed a lot different. THEre's a really strong odor, and it's water thin. When I applied it to my last wrap, it really darkened the colors a lot more than my old bottle (which was NOT 811, it was Brilliance 2, but I've used 811 in the past). I just put some on half a wrap I just completed, and if the colors stay dark I will post a pic and complain to no end.

We put Diamondite on a wrap we did at teh NERBs booth in High Point, it dried in about 10 minutes, but the threads were considerably darker.

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 02, 2007 05:50PM

Flex Coat....Darkens about 1 1/2 shades.......Some dilute the 1st coat, some do not
Future Floor Acrylic...Darkens 2 - 2 1/2 shades.........Same viscosity every time
Gudebrod 811...Darkens 1 1/2 to 2 shades but........ VERY inconsistent in viscosity between batches

Dilute High Quality White Craft Glue (old school kitchen sink rod building here)....Darkens 1/2 to 1 shade........Very picky to work with......dilute it just enough and you will be fine.

My Personal observations but others may disagree. I use a lot of the neons and light colors.

I don't use an epoxy finish designed for rodbuilding either....Sorry guys. I build to fish and rebuild when necessary.

I would buy the good stuff if I could afford it.

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: May 02, 2007 06:22PM

Gudebrod 811 will soon be a thing of the past. Those who liked it might want to start looking for an alternative.

Gudebrod is working on some other formulations but has not decided on anything just yet.

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: May 02, 2007 08:42PM

To get my two cents worth in: I have used one coat of American Tackle CP followed by two coats of Gudebrod. The American Tackle CP seems to penatrate the thread better because it is loaded with a ureathane dispersion and surfactants that lower the surface tension. The Swifty, U-40, and several others are very similar with lower percent solids and surfactants. (These could be clasified as "cloudy" CP) The Gudebrod seals the thread surface better (Sets up on top). I have used this combination with Madeia thread and have been pleased. This is my opinion for what it is worth.

Ed Smith

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: May 02, 2007 11:37PM

Not having a problem with Gudebrod. It does darken the Madiera thread a bit but not enough to changed my mind.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2007 08:45AM

Its amazing to me the rod building world has not perfected this yet. Such a simple thing yet this dilemma goes on. It seems crazy to me that we even have this problem.

Posted by: Mike McGivney (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: May 04, 2007 07:59PM

I use Flexcoat CP on Madiera thread. I doesn't seem to darken too much for me to worry about it. Two heavy coats and Afcoat over it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster