I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thinking of adding a fighting butt
Posted by: Justin Poe (---.dhcp.klmt.or.charter.com)
Date: May 02, 2007 02:01AM

I live in S. Oregon and pursue large trout. I have several 6wt Rods, none of which have a fighting butt. I have a Sage XP 9'0, GL3 8'6 and a St. Croix 9'0. The St. Croix is the least expensive of the good rods that I have (use) and I would like to attempt adding a fighting butt. I have read conflicting reports on how and if you should remove a reel seat, or how and if I should remove the butt cap.

I would appreciate any advise and/or horror stories of anyone who has done the above mentioned. If all goes well, I will add fighting butts to all of my 6wt's. After reading Mr. Kirkmans book, I am also pondering replacing and adding guides that may help my pathetic casting.

Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thinking of adding a fighting butt
Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2007 04:49AM

Justin,

Boiling the reelseat to loosen the epoxy has always worked well for me. It usually will come off after about 3-4 minutes of boiling, with no more than a twist of wrist. Try not to get the cork wet or you risk damaging it.

However, if you're going to extend the blank and put a fighting butt on that, you may just want to remove the butt cap (boiling works for this too; only submerge the butt cap) and insert an extension. Find a scrap piece of blank approximately 6-8" long that will fit inside the existing blank snugly enough to leave about 1.5" extending beyond the reelseat. You can use either glass or graphite. Epoxy the extension in with Rod Bond or a good quality 30min epoxy. Put your fighting butt on the new 1.5" extension (adjust according to the size of the FB, of course).

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: May 02, 2007 09:38AM

If your looking for a removable fighting butt, they sell them or you can buy the hardware and make your own, in either case, you need only to remove the butt cap, glue in the threaded insert and your on your way to the river !~

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 02, 2007 04:22PM

Except if the blank goes all the way up inside the reelseat to the buttcap like most do. Very tough to insert anything in if the space is full o' blank.

Scott Kinney
The Longest Cast Fly Rods
[www.thelongestcast.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster