I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Gorilla Glue Mistake
Posted by: Steve Kondolf (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: April 30, 2007 10:01PM

Was curious if there's anything that can UNDO Gorilla Glue after it's set. I'm working on my 2nd flyrod and I glued up a reel seat using gg and everthing came out fine with one exception. The threaded ring on the reel seat slid down about 1/2" on the wood insert during the curing process and I never noticed it. It's straight and I've mounted my reel and it seats ok but there's this 1/2" gap between the thread ring and the insert - looks like, well, you know what it looks like.

Anyway, it's just a spare rod for myself so no big deal - I guess I could come up with something to fill the gap - but if I could remove the thread ring without too much trouble and reglue it, I'd much rather do that.

I didn't know if there was some sort of solvent I could apply that might cut thru the glue and soften it enough to pull the ring off without ruining the rest of the handle or cork. gg is waterproof but didn't know if soaking in HOT water might work.

Appreciate any suggestions.

Take Care,
Steve
\><((((((*>

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Gorilla Glue Mistake
Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2007 12:20AM

try steam

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: May 01, 2007 04:58AM

Doesn't the package have a customer service number?? Maybe try contacting the manufacturer.. good luck,, and let us know if you would be so kind.

<*))))></

(like your fish!)

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: May 01, 2007 09:51AM

Gorilla glue expands while curing and is not the best choice for seats unless you tend to them carefully during that process. Try Rod Bond or a similar product and I think you'll avoid the problem you encountered.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2007 04:00PM

could put a little thread patern inth space

Posted by: Steve Kondolf (65.160.219.---)
Date: May 02, 2007 03:05PM

a quick update -

I tried to break the bond by using steam and hot water with no luck. Thought about using some sort of solvent but didn't want to chance ruining the rest of the seat or rod. Ended up calling the 1-800 number found on the Gorilla Glue website and spoke to a lady who basically said there's nothing that will soften or break the bond of the glue once set.

Yes, I filled in the gap with some thread that's close in color - once I seal the threads it probably won't be too noticeable. It's a spare rod for my personal use so other than being ticked that I didn't notice what happened prior to the glue setting up, it's not a big deal.

Future rods (if I choose to do another) will use the "proper" epoxy rather than "what I have laying around"

Thanks for the suggestions.

Take Care,
Steve
\><((((((*>

Posted by: Derek McMaster (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 02, 2007 05:41PM

I actually use Gorilla Glue regularly, and with CAREFUL and CONTINUOUS attention during the drying process it will work fine. Main reason I use it is I don't seem to have any reaction to it physically which tends to limit my options at times. I like the expanding characteristics when gluing up reel seats and as of yet have had no problems with using it to mount grips. Any rebuilds will be a nightmare though, I have already confirmed that.

Kitchen Sink Rodbuilding

Derek L. McMaster
Rohnert Park, CA

Born to Fish, FORCED to Work

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2007 08:51AM

have you tried plain old heat yet just like a normal expoxy to undo the glue? Perhaps it to will turn brittle and weak if heated enough.

Posted by: Steve Kondolf (65.160.219.---)
Date: May 03, 2007 09:06AM

Henry - Yes, I've tried both hot water running over the area as well as steam from a teakettle for over 10 minutes. No Luck.

Derek - I agree on the attention comment. Had no issues with the first rod I built but got careless with this one. Not sure if I'll use it in the future but I only build rods for myself so I may not have occasion to do this much in the future.

Take Care,
Steve
\><((((((*>

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2007 07:13PM

Steve, I ment heat like from a flame. I used open flame to remove all kinds of epoxies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster